• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

The_Nuge

Hi!
I haven't been around here in a while, but I have a question for you guys:

My Y2D (2nd hand, bought from a friend who bought it new) doesn't keep in tune very well. Once it's tuned, it's ok for the time being played - even a whole gig. However, if it stays on it's hanger or stand for a day or two, the tuning is quite wonky. Is there something that can be done about that? I keep it in a humidity-controlled room, and my Fender Strats and Gibsons all stay very stable...

Other than that, it's an amazing guitar :D

Cheers
Es

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpg
    IMG_4114.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 174

vuduhwy

......and while you are about to change strings. Clean the points where the post contacts the trem. What condition are the springs in? May be time to look at those. Also, I'm not saying this is directly related to your tuning problem, but don't leave you guitar in a guitar stand for more than just a few minutes. I used to work in guitar shops and the guitars that stayed in stands for long periods needed neck adjustments more often.
Make sure everything on the trem is snug after you restring. Make sure a saddle or two hasn't come loose a bit. (Probably ought to be doing this when you check the intonation (last thing).
If all that fails, your guitar is probably trashed and you should just give up and send it to me (just kidding).
With Floyd style guitars lots of teeny little things can add up to pain-in-neck problems.
My '94 Morse was a little weird on me a few years ago. Took the trem all the apart, cleaned EVERTHING and reinstalled...fresh strings, setup....blah blah and it was fine.

beej

Temperature changes? My homemade strat with a Floyd does this as well, it's more sensitive to small changes in temperature than my other guitars, and is often out of tune when I pick it up.

atomheart

don't leave you guitar in a guitar stand for more than just a few minutes. I used to work in guitar shops and the guitars that stayed in stands for long periods needed neck adjustments more often.

First time I see this advice. What is the ideal storage then, wall hangers, the case..?

vuduhwy

First time I see this advice. What is the ideal storage then, wall hangers, the case..?

The most ideal storage is always going to be the case. However, it's often not the most practical. In my experience leaning a guitar into a guitar stand is just about as bad as leaning it against the wall in terms of putting undue pressure on the neck.
Stands are fine for using briefly like at a gig or between lessons. Most people don't use them briefly. They are often used for constant use which isn't a great idea.
I'm not saying the world is going to end if a person uses a stand constantly. I put that out there in the context of offering a handful of ideas to help the OP. It wasn't my intent to mean that was the source of his tuning issue.
Some stand designs are better than others and don't put as much strain on the neck. Again, this has just been my experience. When I worked in one music store in particular I finally made enough room for hangers so that I could hang all of the guitars. I just got tired of necks needing adjustment more often because of how the guitar rests in a stand.
When I worked retail I often advised people that if there were buying a stand to consider not using it as the permanent resting place for the guitar when it wasn't being played. As a result I probably didn't sell as many stands as I could have. I don't even own one myself and I haven't for years.
I hope I didn't put the idea out that stands are terrible. If I did it wasn't my intent.
Cheers

Top Bottom