• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Aragorn35016

Hey guys, got this killer Sabre in yesterday! I really enjoy it! Quick question it has a clear guard on it, the guy I bought it from said that was what was on it when he bought it, were clear guards ever stock on these? Regardless it doesn’t really do it for me so I’ve got a mint replacement on the way.

Thanks

John
B0AF8FE2-AF00-4EA2-96C2-ED3816FCC702.jpg

Bert

iirc they only came Black, White or Shell.
That grain looks superb with the clear.
Reminds me of an old 85-89 Sabre - when they often came with clear guards.

Aragorn35016

Thanks for the info Bert! The clear is ok, the main thing I don’t care for is that it is super thick, it sits above the control plate. I’m surprised the screws were long enough to catch the threads in the holes.

Bert

The original ones were thinner - but most all had cracks around the holes.
With the straight grain in the ash - tort would be too much.
I'm curious to see how the mint one looks like.

Aragorn35016

E4F8ECB1-9829-4DE3-B1A6-EAF86A65AB9F.jpg Thanks, it’s a nicely made guard. Here’s a couple of pics. I tried to snap a pic to show the difference in thickness from the pickguard to the control plate.

JakobT

I’ve seen some examples of 1989 Sabres with two-ply pickguards. Does anyone know if these are original, and if so, what model years had them?

liverbird

View attachment 34696 Thanks, it’s a nicely made guard. Here’s a couple of pics. I tried to snap a pic to show the difference in thickness from the pickguard to the control plate.

Thanks for sharing. I would be curious as to how thick it is... I have a 1988 Sunburst Sabre with (what I think is) an original clear guard, measured it only yesterday - it's 1.54 mm. Very thin - no wonder these crack so often around the screw holes! (Mine certainly has.)

Looking to order a replacement guard for another 1988 Sabre I recently bought which came with an aftermarket guard. Pickguard Planet do a clear plexiglas one which is 1/8", according to their website. That's about twice as thick as the one on my Sunburst. Is that roughly the thickness of yours?

Last edited:

Aragorn35016

Thanks for sharing. I would be curious as to how thick it is... I have a 1988 Sunburst Sabre with an original clear guard, measured it only yesterday - it's 1.54 mm. Very thin - no wonder these crack so often around the screw holes! (Mine certainly has.)

Looking to order a replacement guard for another 1988 Sabre I recently bought which came with an aftermarket guard. Pickguard Planet do a clear plexiglas one which is 1/8", according to their website. That's about twice as thick as the one on my Sunburst. Is that roughly the thickness of yours?

Just took a measurement, it is exactly 1/8. Id venture to bet this one came from PGP. If it did It gives me peace of mind that the do a good job as the tolerances are really tight on it. I placed my order for the mint replacement on the 2nd, I'm hoping it arrives soon!

I meant to attach this other pic in my earlier pic and I forgot.

IMG_0812.jpg

liverbird

Just took a measurement, it is exactly 1/8. Id venture to bet this one came from PGP. If it did It gives me peace of mind that the do a good job as the tolerances are really tight on it. I placed my order for the mint replacement on the 2nd, I'm hoping it arrives soon!

I meant to attach this other pic in my earlier pic and I forgot.

View attachment 34697

Thanks for measuring. Good to know they fit well. I'll go for a clear and a matt white one, I think.

Does anyone know whether the pickup cover footprints are the same for a pre-Ernie Ball Sabre as for an EBMM one? (For my 1988, I'll need the guard without the notch for the truss wheel, and Pickguard Planet only specifically mention the 1970s Sabres for that type.)

Aragorn35016

New guard came today, pg planet knows there stuff! This is the 1st aftermarket guard I’ve ever had that has perfect alignment and countersinking of the screw holes! Wish I could take a better pic as it looks more white than off white in this pic, but it’s been perpetually raining here, so had to go with indoor lighting. I like it, it adds a little contrast to the look.

590C70AC-0E78-4284-9397-192FAF62131D.jpg

A5E1523A-1733-46DD-9245-A48BFBBD877D.jpg

Last edited:

Aragorn35016

Finally got a link working I think, after a couple of days I’m kind of leaning back towards the clear guard, what do you guys think?

Top Bottom