• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Hello everybody. I'm new to the forum AND new to Ernie Ball Music Man guitars. Shortly after the new year I discovered a guitar that is as close to perfect as I've ever seen: the Steve Morse model. Although I've been listening to the Dixie Dregs since a boy in the 70s, wore out several cassettes of Steve Morse Band "High Tension Wires" as a young adult in the late 90s, I never paid attention to his gear. In fact, when younger I never cared much about what guitar/amps my favorite artists were using. Similar to many here on the forum, I never even knew what most band members looked like unless there was photo on the cover or the inner sleeve.

Most of my life I've primarily played Fenders with a few PRS and Gibsons here and there over the years. None of the Gibsons lasted cause I couldn't bond with the shorter scale length. As time went on, I dreamed of being able to have just ONE GUITAR that could meet ALL of my needs (traditional C&W, funk, mid-70s style country-rock, blues, jazz fusion, classic rock). A couple times over the years I attempted, unsuccessfully, to build a parts-guitar with two humbuckers and two single coils but couldn't figure out how to wire that fourth pickup to allow the various pickup combinations I desired.

Less than two weeks ago, I set up a 5:1 sound system to listen to the new White Album mix that several friends have raved about. Being so impressed with the 5:1 surround sound, I went online to buy some 5:1 music dvds/blu rays. While browsing amazon I found some Steve Morse related dvds and the blue guitar on a couple of covers looked VERY interesting and learned that it was his Ernie Ball signature guitar. Holy cow! I couldn't believe it, this is the guitar of my dreams. Other than the tall frets, the Steve Morse model is 100% perfect for my needs (c-shape neck shape, vintage telecaster scale and nut width, locking tuners, not needing a string tree: exactly what I would order from a custom builder. When it arrives on Tuesday I'll give the frets a chance but will probably have them lowered (I'm used to feeling the wood under my fingers with Fender vintage frets). Discovering a guitar capable of covering everything I play is very exiting.

Many thanks to Steve and Ernie Ball Music Man for offering such an instrument!

Last edited:

JasonT

Welcome aboard and congrats! There's no better feeling than finding the guitar that's right for you.

For me, it's the LIII, and I've never been happier with a guitar. Enjoy!

banjoplayer

welcome to the Morse Club and this forum!
Have fun!
Did someone already tell you? Without pics, your guitar doesn´t exist, which means, that we would like to see it :D
My Morse would be my #1 if I had to pick just one, but in real life I play all my EBMMs and love other guitars too... just because I enjoy it!

vuduhwy

welcome to the Morse Club and this forum!
Have fun!
Did someone already tell you? Without pics, your guitar doesn´t exist, which means, that we would like to see it :D
My Morse would be my #1 if I had to pick just one, but in real life I play all my EBMMs and love other guitars too... just because I enjoy it!

Yup.... we needs pics before we can show you the secret handshake :)

My EBBM Steve Morse guitar arrived yesterday morning as scheduled. After letting the box, inner box, then case acclimatize step-by-step for fourteen hours I opened the case and was immediately amazed by this stunning guitar. Easily the most comfortable neck of any guitar I've owned. Now I need to take time to memorize the eleven pickup configurations. Best of all, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the tall frets are very easy to play so I won't need to take the time to lower them.
IMG_4171.jpg IMG_4170.jpg IMG_4175.jpg

vuduhwy

My EBBM Steve Morse guitar arrived yesterday morning as scheduled. After letting the box, inner box, then case acclimatize step-by-step for fourteen hours I opened the case and was immediately amazed by this stunning guitar. Easily the most comfortable neck of any guitar I've owned. Now I need to take time to memorize the eleven pickup configurations. Best of all, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the tall frets are very easy to play so I won't need to take the time to lower them.
View attachment 34723 View attachment 34724 View attachment 34725

That looks nice. I think you'll adjust the the switches and pickups with no problem. I typically require a little extra time with new stuff but I got used to mine in a hurry. When/if you get experimental, there are lots of neat things that guys on here have done to their Morse models. You can learn a lot on this site. Plenty of super nice and helpful people on here (cough...couch..."beej" cough ..cough)Enjoy!

I think you'll adjust the the switches and pickups with no problem. I typically require a little extra time with new stuff but I got used to mine in a hurry. When/if you get experimental, there are lots of neat things that guys on here have done to their Morse models.

Fortunately for me, your thinking was correct. My muscle memory has already internalized my most-used pickup combinations in less than two weeks since receiving this guitar. As written in my initial post, I fully intended/assumed the frets would need to be lowered since I've always played vintage Fender frets, but I absolutely love the tall frets on this guitar with slinkier strings. For some reason, a set of 9's on this guitar has a similar feel to a set of 11's with my vintage-fret parts-tele.

Before it arrived I'd assumed that I'd rarely, if ever, use some of the combinations available with this guitar (e.g. humbucker with a single coil), but it turns out that one of my favorite positions is the bridge humbucker with bridge single coil. Perfect for spanky clean country and funk tones. Having everything I need on just one guitar makes me feel like a boy on Christmas morning!

Is there any science to my perception of the "feel" of tall frets with slinky strings compared to thicker strings with vintage frets? Out of pure curiosity, I put on a set of regular EB 9's and it feels very comfortable. In all my life I've never felt comfortable playing anything but 11's.

Edited to Add: Yes, I like to modify all of my gear whenever possible, both cosmetically and with regards to wiring, pickups, etc. This is one guitar that won't need ANY changes in the wiring since it fulfills 100% of my needs. That being said, I will need to figure out some way to "personalize", maybe a custom pick guard or groovy knobs.

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

I think it comes with .010 tops and .009 bottoms, so it feels a little weird at first. I switched it for a standard .010 set, and haven't looked back. I think the TOM gives it a bit more solid feel than some other 25.5 scale guitars. It's still awesome though. Nothing has as much versatility.

I think the TOM gives it a bit more solid feel than some other 25.5 scale guitars. It's still awesome though. Nothing has as much versatility.

You're absolutely correct regarding the TOM. That, combined with the taller frets, results in a significantly more stable feel with 9's compared to a traditional 3-saddle tele bridge. Also, the neck on the EBMM is much more flat and allows lower action than what I'm used to with my parts-tele. In all my life I never thought complex jazz chords could "work" with slinky strings, at least not for me with a vintage telecaster.

I'll be turning 50 this year and have never bonded so strongly with an electric guitar!

gullymiles

Best of all, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the tall frets are very easy to play so I won't need to take the time to lower them.

When I got my Albert Lee HH I realised the frets were higher than on any other guitar I'd played - but it was pretty easy to get used to them. I just had to get used to not fretting so hard (for the first day or so I was bending the notes slightly sharp by pushing down to the wood). They're so easy to play and bends are so smooth, I'm a convert now!

Top Bottom