• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

TheConWay

Hey, everyone! I’m pretty new to Music Man and this is my first time posting.

I absolutely love the look of the EBMM Valentine, but the active preamp is what’s holding me back from getting one. I would be using it pretty heavily at local shows and just don’t want to have to worry about the battery running out on me during a set.

I would probably be swapping out pickups anyways, so my question is if there’s anyway to bypass or remove the active circuit entirely? I’m just getting into the realm of modding guitars and don’t know too much about electronics.

Thanks in advance for any replies! :)

John C

I would think you would have to gut the electronics out of the guitar - just about everything is on a circuit card. I can't tell if the pots are plugged into or otherwise attached to the card, so you might need a new volume and tone pot - which you may want to match up to the replacement pickups anyway.

Here is the Valentine circuit card (link to a photo; photo is "too large" for the site):

https://guitar.com/wp-content/[email protected]

TheConWay

I guess that’s something I’ll have to consider then. If the battery dies can you still play the guitar without the preamp boost? Or does the whole guitar go quiet until you put in a new one?

John C

guitar still works fine if the preamp goes... the preamp is a crazy special design...it only helps the guitar Doesnt go near the signal until you need it

I thought the Valentine doesn't function without the battery like the Majesty, some other JPs (like the JP15), Cutlass, and Luke III. Was I mistaken?

loocnmad

Valentine model does require a battery. Checked it when I first got mine.

RichieZ

The Valentine definitely goes silent without the battery. I believe that BP was referring to removing the preamp altogether.
I thought the Valentine doesn't function without the battery like the Majesty, some other JPs (like the JP15), Cutlass, and Luke III. Was I mistaken?

Last edited:

John C

The Valentine definitely goes silent without the battery. I believe that BP was referring to removing the preamp altogether.

Thanks; makes sense - you could remove/bypass the preamp portion but leave the circuit card wiring in place for the passive side of the electronics.

tbonesullivan

I'm still waiting for the day when I have a battery in a guitar or bass actually run out. They last hundreds of hours, and even when they start to die they last hours more.

Top Bottom