• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Etudica

Anyone else have problems with JP piezo jack through wireless?

I recently picked up one of the new Boss WL-20L wireless units and was very impressed while playing through the mags output on my JP6 (circa 2014, so I believe it has the newer style preamp already). So then I put it through the piezo output and there is a noticeable high pitch frequency coming through. Doesn't matter whether I select piezo only, mix, or mags only... everything coming out of that jack has a high pitch artifact when playing (somewhere up around 10k or higher). It's not feedback or interference - it's the same high pitch whine no matter what note is played and it never changes frequency. If I swap it back to the mag output jack everything sounds perfect again.

I assumed maybe the 20L higher impedance model might just be the wrong choice with the EBMM preamps, so I went back to my local shop with my JP6 this time and tried the standard WL-20... same problem. Tried into different amps and modelers and also tried the comparable Line6 wireless system... same issue. Only common denominator was my JP6 BFR. Again, this doesn't feel like an interference issue. The frequency of the whine remained constant across all tests.

Could there be something up within my preamp that isnt grounding properly with that wireless jack inserted? The jacks on all of those newer rechargeable, auto-on transmitters have a little metallic pin that when compressed turns the unit on. Could that be doing something unexpected on the piezo output jack? Again, a physical cable works 100% fine. I'm at my wits end trying to find a wireless solution I can use with this. Really want to sort this out as this is my #1 go-to guitar that I plan on using 90% of the time live. I'd hate to do another preamp swap just to find out that that wasn't the root cause.

Anyone else have any similar experiences or ideas???

Last edited:

AgustinJP50

I was about to jump on one of those WL-20Ls, but I recently read that some people had the same issue when using that device on a guitar that had a stereo output jack (I don't recall if it was a JP6, a Majesty or another guitar), and some people suggested that it may be due to the fact that these wireless units (both the Boss and the Line 6) use a TRS plug, and that it could be doing funny things when connected to a stereo jack. I haven't read any reports regarding the issue you describe when the unit was used with a guitar that has a mono output. However, everybody that has the exact same problem you have (a high pitch noise that's constantly there and doesn't change frecuency) is using the wireless unit with a guitar that has a stereo output jack.
Hey, want a positive side to this? At least your guitar has both a stereo and a mono jack, so you can still use the WL-20L in that one... I bet it behaves the same way when you plug it into a Majesty, and you don't have any alternatives there.

Etudica

Yeah, it works just fine with my Valentine. I finally found time again today to dig out my JPXI and that also has the same behavior on the stereo out, although it is strangely much less noticeable than on my JP6 (same preamp; I upgraded my JPXI saddles and preamp just last year). It's just barely there... probably quiet enough to get away with playing live, but it's still there. But the JP6 is unusable through these new wireless units. I'm curious why one would present the issue much more prominently than the other.

Either way, it's a shame because I use the piezo/mix a ton. Glad to hear it's not just me.

Lax

I'm shocked because I bought a WL-50 on day one and used it on three TRS guitars :
-A JP7
-A JP12
-A full active EMGs Jackson
and they all work perfectly fine, I did the mistake of buying an angled mono adaptor in case I had an issue with the emgs and I didn't even need it !

Etudica

I'm shocked because I bought a WL-50 on day one and used it on three TRS guitars :
-A JP7
-A JP12
-A full active EMGs Jackson
and they all work perfectly fine, I did the mistake of buying an angled mono adaptor in case I had an issue with the emgs and I didn't even need it !
But can you confirm they work fine plugged into the piezo stereo output of your JPs??? Mine works perfectly fine as well connected to the regular mono jack. It's only the piezo jack that presents the issue.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Etudica

Boss support finally got back to me and acknowledged the issue:

"The issue you're having is because the active pickup electronics OUTPUT JACK is using a 1/4" TRS STEREO OUTPUT JACK.
The TRS (TIP RING SLEEVE) of the OUTPUT JACK on your system uses the RING for 9V or battery activation for the active system.
This is coupling with our BOSS WL-T Transmitter TRS RING and causing the discharging battery sound your hearing.
Either it's a high pitches frequency sound or sometimes a thump is heard as load builds and dissipates."

They suggested to use a TRS->TS adapter. Would this solution in fact work with our EBMM preamps or would some functionality be lost?

Lax

Why do you plug the WL in the stereo/piezo out ? Do you use two wireless on the same guitar ?
If so, a stereo to mono will merge both signals and it will result in the same as using mono out, so it should work.
If not, the wl is mono anyway, so using only the mono out is ok, that's the case I bought the mono/mono adapter below.

Not related :
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-GPP-151...RDBTWBEQCTY&psc=1&refRID=7NHCE0C36RDBTWBEQCTY

This is the adapter I bought in case of trouble with EMGs to close the electric loop, that I didn't get.

Etudica

I picked up a Hosa GPP-290 TRS -> TS adapter at the suggestion of Boss support, but the problem remains exactly as it was before. The adapter has zero effect. The problematic frequency is still there, no better or worse.

And to clarify, I'm not trying to run into two separate chains or anything fancy. All I'm trying to do is use piezo live with one of these inexpensive wireless units.

Any other ideas?

Lax

the issue is using the stereo output, not the overall use of a wireless with a music man.

Maybe it's easier to stick using the mono output of the guitar.

Etudica

the issue is using the stereo output, not the overall use of a wireless with a music man.

Maybe it's easier to stick using the mono output of the guitar.

I think there is still some misunderstanding. All I'm trying to do is connect the wireless transmitter into the piezo output jack so that I can get my piezo sound out of the guitar. Period. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the term "stereo" when originally referring to the trs piezo output. My bad.

Either way, support has gotten back to be by now and I'm sure we'll figure out why this particular preamp is misbehaving so much worse than my other JPs.

Lax

Aye, I answered to bdagolfer because I feared the accuracy of the situation to dissolve :)

I assumed you wanted to use both guitar outputs, I may be wrong.

As seen in the attached drawing, I personnaly use my WL-50 plugged into the MONO output of the guitar and both electric and piezo works fine. (JP12 bfr and JP7).

If you tried both holes with the same results, I'm useless :)

Attachments

• body-9.jpg
    body-9.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 241

ischenitte

Hi Etudica

I own a JP6 and have exactly the same issue as you have with my Line 6 G10. Piezo-Output gives me a high pitch frequency, even through a TRS-TS connector. On the magnetic output it works, but as I would like to have the sum of magnetic AND piezo, I have to use the piezo output.

Did you get any help or hint from support?

Etudica

Hi Etudica

I own a JP6 and have exactly the same issue as you have with my Line 6 G10. Piezo-Output gives me a high pitch frequency, even through a TRS-TS connector. On the magnetic output it works, but as I would like to have the sum of magnetic AND piezo, I have to use the piezo output.

Did you get any help or hint from support?
Yes and no... support has been in touch and helpful as usual. However, no updates to report yet since the root cause has not been identified. I ordered a replacement jack to try first since that was the cheapest possible solution but have not found the time to solder it in yet. If that doesn't do the trick then I'll try replacing the entire preamp. I'll report back if/when it's sorted out.

Also, FWIW I picked up a brand new JP15 since starting this thread and that one has zero issues. It really does appear to be limited to just this one JP6 in my collection.

Dan.Raw

I had to sign up to the forum when I read this thread.

My problem is worse. I have a jp13 and get the same annoying high pitch sound. AND, my mono jack doesn't work AT ALL, I get no sound coming out of it. I am using a Line 6 G10. And like you said, when I use a cable, everything works fine, both jacks work as they should. What is going here? Has anyone found a solution?

Rialas

My axis sport with mm90's and piezo is unusable with the new line 6 g10s. Same noise as described.

FreeHat

I just bought a Line6 G10S and have the horrible high-pitched noise with my JP15 and also a Parker Fly which has an active circuit and a piezo + onboard pre-amp/mixer.

Mace13

A wireless unit was on my list of something to purchase this summer. Looks like I should wait until this gets sorted.

lifeson1

I actually have my JP7 back at EBMM right now for a similar issue - except mine is with just a regular instrument cable. Mags work fine, but stereo I'm getting some real high pitch artifacts bleeding thru. My Maj has ZERO issues. I'll post what they come back with.

FreeHat

A wireless unit was on my list of something to purchase this summer. Looks like I should wait until this gets sorted.

It's unlikely to ever be resolved for certain products. No need to wait, just test before buying.

In particular avoid the wireless units that use the ring on the TRS connection for charging. That seems to be the source of the ground loop that causes the noise.

Note that the G10S (and possibly the boss) is not a stereo devices even though it has a TRS connector. It will never handle an audio signal on the Ring connector.

Top Bottom