• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Exodus5

Just bought this Trans Gold Axis but the flame top is super weak. Maybe refinished in a solid color?

When I took the picture it came out looking great. In person, though, there is no depth.
Flickr

GWDavis28

It's not that bad, congrats by the way. What color are you thinking of? Paint?

Glenn |B)

xjbebop

Personally, I think that's a fabulous looking top! I'd be proud of that! Very unique & full of character...

fogman

It's beautiful! I'd take it.
I'm actually not a fan of some flames and quilts that are too perfect and have too much depth.
Sure they're pretty to look at, but I also find them distracting because of their beauty.
Now I've seen some tops that look like they're smeared. Those I probably wouldn't want....
but in the end, you have a great guitar that plays beautifully. That's all that counts in my opinion.

John C

I think it looks nice - not over the top flame. The early flame top Les Pauls were like that - the flame "moved" depending on the lighting: sometimes it would jump out, other times it was very muted. The top on your Axis reminds me of that.

johnnyboogie

Congratulations!!

Personally, I find it a great looking maple top. I think painting it an opaque colour would beat its purpose, no..?

fsmith

I had an ebony Les Paul standard years ago and if you held it in the light just right you could see from where the lacquer had sunk into the wood that it was a really nice flame top underneath. I was surprised that they didn't use a plain top for an opaque finished guitar.

puppiesonacid

why go through the hassle? it looks great and when plating you're not looking at your top. to each his own though.

dave1812

If you're going for a Goldtop, I'd go with something like the True Gold color, EBMM had a few years ago.
Always loved that finish!

peterd79

as I've gotten older I've come to realize that as long as it plays great and sounds great that's what I look for first. That being said I do love me some flame tops and I've been fortunate enough to get some pretty "sucky tops". But what you have is a beautiful guitar that anyone of us would be proud to own and play.

Top Bottom