• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Astrofreq

Greetings,

I might be needing a full range speaker for a project I'm putting together and I no less than nothing about these types of speakers. Can some forumites recommend some brands and models? Preferably fairly lightweight, but still with a great sound. thanks

Daniel

jones4tone

Greetings,

I might be needing a full range speaker for a project I'm putting together and I no less than nothing about these types of speakers. Can some forumites recommend some brands and models? Preferably fairly lightweight, but still with a great sound. thanks

Daniel

Are you meaning for live monitoring, or another purpose?

coolhandluc

I'm looking at the Headrush FRFR just because it's price is reasonable. Friedman is 3x the cost. Usually you get what you pay for.

bbjonz

I play my Fractal AX8 through a Yamaha DXR10. Started with an EV that I didn't like much. At some point I'll try an Atomic CLR Neo and a Xitone but I'm pretty pleased with the Yamaha.

mikeller

Not long after I purchased a Helix, I bought an Alto TS210. I wasn't sure if I'd like the Helix and use it and didn't want to put a bunch of money into it til I knew. Now 2 years later, I am starting a bit more to use it live. I typically go direct to FOH and use IEM, but keep the Alto in front of me with a little volume in case the IEM give me trouble. Now that I am using it more, I am considering an upgrade, just not sure which way to go either

nervous

While I rarely aim them forward for house sound, I run my Helix floor in stereo through a pair of QSC K8.2. If I don't bring those I just send it back mono for me through the stage monitor mix QSC K12. But a lot of folks love their L6 Powercabs for what you're looking to do.

RAIN27

I now use 2 Atomic CLR Neo II's with my Axe FX III. I used to use a RCF NX12SMA which is now my back-up.

Etudica

Been using the original QSC K12's with my Axe-FX II for over 6 years now. No complaints at all. Yamaha HS8's at home when recording.

Wahoonc

For the money, can’t beat the Headrush 112. I also use a Seymour Duncan PowerStage into a 2x12.

Astrofreq

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Here's another noob question: is there a difference between these speakers and say a .... Mackie or Yamaha powered speaker?

Wahoonc

Yes, a 12” FRFR will sound different than a near-field monitor even though both are ideally putting out uncolored sound. A lot of people do use studio monitors to run a stereo home rig and use a FRFR or amplified guitar cabinet when playing live. There are no real limits to how you can set up your rig, which is one of the biggest benefits. Really depends on what sounds best to you. The majority of musicians I know that use modelers live use FRFR on stage in addition to sending the signal to FOH.

jbert

I have a Helix LT and started out using a Yamaha DBR10 which I was very happy with. I recently switched to a Line 6 Powercab Plus, which gets you much closer to that "amp in a room sound", has the ability to emulate a number of different speakers, and can be used as an FRFR if you prefer your modeler cab or IR tones.

Wahoonc

I’m talking about a speaker like this.

Thump Series Powered Loudspeakers - Mackie

Yes, my guess is those would sound different than a FRFR designed for guitar. The name pretty much tells you it's not a flat response speaker. However, if you plan to do a one-man band kind of thing where you have a soundtrack playing through the same speaker along with the guitar, you can do that. I suspect you would have to eq the speaker for the sound track and then eq the guitar on the modeler to get your tone where you want it and how you want it to sit in the mix. I think you can accomplish the same thing without as much tweaking with an FRFR, but I haven't done an A/B so not positive.

What setup are you envisioning?

mrmckinney

I use the Yamaha Dxr12 with my Helix. Sounds great and plenty of volume. I haven’t tried others so I couldn’t really give a good comparison but I’m quite pleased with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jptortor

I've just begun using the headrush 1x8. I really am enjoying it for the size and weight. It puts out a nice flat signal and is as loud as I could ever need on stage. The price is incredible as well.

Top Bottom