• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Soundshooter

Hey guys,
I've been offered a Music Man Silhouette. While taking a closer look at the pictures, I got the strong suspicion that it may be a fake copy. The headstock logo seems to be a decal, the serial number is covered by a sticker and nothing is branded "Music Man".
Can you confirm or let me know if this could actually be a legit Music Man?

Cheers,
Sebastian

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 281
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 323
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 321
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 286
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 298

TripHazard

Can’t say for sure, but it doesnt look legit to me, but then again... only way to know is send MM the serial number

TripHazard

The neck plate doesn’t look right. They need to move that sticker. Of course a swapped out neck plate doesn’t necessarily make it fake
If in doubt, avoid

GWDavis28

Just from your pictures I'd say no it is not!!! The markings look all wrong. Stay away!!!!

Get the serial number and run it thru the Serial Number Thread, that should tell you.

Glenn |B)

puppiesonacid

yes its a fake. musicman guitars have 5 screws for the neck plate(6 if its 20 years or so old)

the bridge looks like an olp bridge from an olp petrucci model.

its a parts guitar or overseas fake.

TripHazard

yes its a fake. musicman guitars have 5 screws for the neck plate(6 if its 20 years or so old)

the bridge looks like an olp bridge from an olp petrucci model.

its a parts guitar or overseas fake.

Dang! How did i miss the lack of screws in the neck plate. I blame lack of coffee

beej

I've never seen one with 4 screws. But it's possible that the neck plate isn't original, in which case there may be screw holes underneath.

The way to know for sure would be to remove the neck and have a look at the markings in the neck pocket.

dave1812

It's not a Music Man Silhouette, it's the cheaper OLP Silhoutte MM4.
I guess someone sanded the Headstock and put the Music Man Decal on there and swapped the Bridge for an OLP Petrucci Bridge.
It's hard to tell from the Pictures, but it also looks like the Nut is broken on the low E string, and an Original Silo wouldn't have the String Tree on the Headstock.
I wouldn't buy it! If it's on ebay report the seller.

Last edited:

banjoplayer

Welcome to the forum,

ebay Kleinanzeigen?
Just for fun, I asked the seller for a serial and he didn´t give me one.
The price is way too low. Nobody sells a Silo for that money. Maybe an OLP...

Soundshooter

Thanks so much for all the replies, everybody!
The guitar is indeed online at eBay Kleinanzeigen (the German version of Craigslist) and I will inform the seller about what I've learned from you. If he doesn't take the the ad down, I will definitely report him. But he may not know what he's actually selling there.

Stratty316

Welcome to the forum,

ebay Kleinanzeigen?
Just for fun, I asked the seller for a serial and he didn´t give me one.
The price is way too low. Nobody sells a Silo for that money. Maybe an OLP...

You all missed the easy identifier... there is no truss rod wheel. Even the OLP guitars had it. I'd say it was a fake. Not to mention, the big fret dots didn't arrive in the EBMM line up until the Reflex and HHAL in 2010. Which means that Silo (which never got big dots) would have small dots, the EBMM Vintage trem and a sculpted neck joint.

Last edited:

Cenobyte

Total fake, beyond the 4 screw neckplate I instantly noticed that the Music Man Sticker is poorly placed and popping/peeling off the head...

Km5d2BM.png

TripHazard

You all missed the easy identifier... there is no truss rod wheel. Even the OLP guitars had it. I'd say it was a fake. Not to mention, the big fret dots didn't arrive in the EBMM line up until the Reflex and HHAL in 2010. Which means that Silo (which never got big dots) would have small dots, the EBMM Vintage trem and a sculpted neck joint.

D’oh! Truly off my game

puppiesonacid

good call. i totally overlooked that obvious ebmm trademark

Top Bottom