• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
Ok guys, I'm nearing the end of my career as student. About 40 pages left on my dissertation and I'll be Dr. Wim May 8th. During breaks I've been looking at basses, and I keep thinking about rewarding my accomplishment buy getting a new one.

Gifting yourself is a good thing, right?

I'd actually wanted to make the new Dargie the gift, but it just isn't what I'm looking for.

I do love green basses, and I found a perfect one recently but it wasn't made by Ernie Ball. For the record it's color was Margarita Green, and I thought a Margarita Green would go great with the Martini Green.

I don't even know if the perfect bass for me exists with availability. I want a fretless Bongo 5h, that is green--a green I like or love.

In the meantime, I did find something that I'd call suitable.

I'm a bit scared of pulling the trigger on 6 strings, since I've never spent time with 6 strings, but hey its graduation right?

Anyway, because I find this all entertaining I thought I see what you all think?

Have you ever rewarded yourself with a bass?

If you did, did you make it the grail or something readily available?

bovinehost

Administrator
WAY back, long long long ago, when I was still in the military, I gave myself a SR5 when I made E6.

That Emerald Green Sparkle is an insanely great finish, Wim. I love mine.

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
WAY back, long long long ago, when I was still in the military, I gave myself a SR5 when I made E6.

That Emerald Green Sparkle is an insanely great finish, Wim. I love mine.

I take that as a pretty strong vote in support.

Side question: do you still have that bass? (is it green?)

Golem

`

Look Wim, if you're gonna hang with the
family here, you gotta give in to the GAS.

Click the "Buy Now". You can always just
rip out the frets later.

Last edited:

Chuck M

Do not buy a "this will be good enough" bass. Buy the exact bass you really want...have it built...or wait until it is in production but don't buy a bass that is not what you want. You will just spend more money getting what you really want later.

I play 4,5 and 6 string basses and earn most of my money playing upright. The years have taught me that some folks can adapt to extended range basses with little effort and others cannot deal with them. I suggest you find a store that has some 6 string basses and play a few before you decide to buy one.

If you look a while at ads on Talkbass, Ebay and Reverb you will find quite a few ads for 6 string basses where the seller says something like..."I tried to play 6 string but decided it is not for me". Don't be one of those guys.

If you decide to buy a 6 string I highly recommend the Bongo 6. I own several 6 string basses including G. Gould, Peavey Cirrus, Roscoe and my Bongo HH. The Bongo is perfectly at home with the more expensive boutique basses.

Oh...you did ask if I have ever bought a bass as a "reward". Of course I have............sometimes I reward myself because it is Thursday.

five7

Buy a Bongo 5 H fretless and have it refinished in green.

muggsy

For years I wanted a blue dawn Bongo. Didn't have the funds when they were available, then scoured the classifieds for years with no luck. When the Neptune Blue BFR came out in 2014, I was ready to pounce. 2014 also happened to be the year of my tenth wedding anniversary. My wife asked me what I wanted as an anniversary gift, so I showed her the picture and she gave me the green light. I ordered a Bongo 4HSp, which is now my anniversary bass.

For a doctorate, you MUST buy yourself a bass. And Chuck is right, get what you really want.

RobertB

Have you ever rewarded yourself with a bass? If you did, did you make it the grail or something readily available?

I've rewarded myself with every bass I've ever bought. I use to obsess on the grail quest. Found it to be a moving target. I did enjoy checking out a lot of different things, but I enjoy instruments a lot more now that I gave that up. I'd say just don't buy without trying it. If you like it, go for it. If you don't, no-brainer. Don't get hung up. The significance you're ascribing to this purchase, you may well feel differently about down the road. In other words, my answer to your thread title question is yes.

Congrats on the PhD. That's a big deal, and a lot of work.

Last edited:

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
Buy a Bongo 5 H fretless and have it refinished in green.

Finding a fretless Bongo 5H looks like it could take a while. But, I may have to a wait a few months anyway. The doctoral gown, tam, and hood is going to be $996.

muggsy

Finding a fretless Bongo 5H looks like it could take a while. But, I may have to a wait a few months anyway. The doctoral gown, tam, and hood is going to be $996.

They charge you for that stuff? So if you cant afford it or don't want to pay, what happens? Do you still get your doctorate? Seems very wrong when that money could be spent on something you'd use more than once. Like a bass.

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
They charge you for that stuff? So if you cant afford it or don't want to pay, what happens? Do you still get your doctorate? Seems very wrong when that money could be spent on something you'd use more than once. Like a bass.

My goal is to stay in higher education, that is why I was buying it, for future events, but you can rent it, or not attend graduation. I do know some people who are choosing to save the money, which is kind of sad.

But still, I don't know that I'll have the chance to wear it more than once a year.

Wim Laven

Prize Winning Journalist
I've successfully (yesterday) defended my dissertation, I've not satisfied my GAS yet.
I have some ideas, there are some really beautiful basses, and I'll keep looking.

I put the bongo in my hands for a few minutes this last weekend, and it just felt so good. It is great to be able to play again. Hard to believe how little I've playing for the last year.

What I think I figured out, the doctorate is a big deal without or without buy a new bass. The bass is a big deal on its own too, and I'm pretty sure that's what y'all were telling me the whole time.

In the end it is really just gas.

muggsy

Congrats on the dissertation defense! That's a huge accomplishment. I have several friends and relatives who've been there, and I know how much work they did to prepare. And yes, the bass is a big deal on its own too, but if the doctorate is the excuse/rationalization you need to get a new bass, run with it.

Top Bottom