• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

LordByron

Hello EB Friends:

I have the John Petrucci Majesty Monarchy 7, can anyone advice me on how long the Two AA batteries that go in the back of the guitar will last (see questions below).

Looking for this info please and is their a EB handbook for this MM 7 guitar that anybody might know about?

I do have the PDF (MAJESTY 7 CONTROL FUNCTION DIAGRAM 01-01-2016) and that helps but I was looking for more detail on the MM 7 please.

Looking to know:

#1: How long will the Two AA batteries last?
#2: Can rechargeable AA batteries be used?
#3: These Two AA batteries power the Mag Volume and Piezo correct and anything else?
#4: Any other Battery (or guitar maintenance advice or observations) that anyone can give?

Thank you everyone!

Byron Nemeth

LesPaul

I've read that rechargeables should not be used, so I've followed that advice. I've stayed with Duracells.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GWDavis28

Thanks for the info LesPaul, where did you read that? Any info on a EB handbook for this MM 7 guitar?

Do a forum search this has been discussed before, I believe that one of the EBMM guys might have stated it.

Glenn |B)

jones4tone

I believe the issue is that rechargeable cells have a shorter period of time during which they are delivering the stated voltage, and their output declines approximately linearly through their use. In contrast, alkaline cells hold their rated voltage longer, allowing the instrument to perform as designed. As a result, they recommend avoiding rechargeable batteries for your EBMM instruments across the board, not just the Majesty.

I haven't owned a Majesty, but as long as the guitars are not left plugged in when not playing them, the batteries in all of mine last a long time. (The guitar cable switches the circuit on and starts draining the battery, so always unplug when you're done playing.) Keep a few spares around, and always have new replacements on hand for a gig, and it shouldn't be an issue for you, I wouldn't think.

Closest thing I know of to a manual: FAQ

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I believe the issue is that rechargeable cells have a shorter period of time during which they are delivering the stated voltage, and their output declines approximately linearly through their use. In contrast, alkaline cells hold their rated voltage longer, allowing the instrument to perform as designed. As a result, they recommend avoiding rechargeable batteries for your EBMM instruments across the board, not just the Majesty.

Yes, and rechargeable also start from a lower voltage (1.2 V instead of 1.5 V). That's always a problem with digital electronics as they require a minimum voltage to function and simply stop working if they don't get it.

dryst_1025

Hello EB Friends:

I have the John Petrucci Majesty Monarchy 7, can anyone advice me on how long the Two AA batteries that go in the back of the guitar will last (see questions below).

Looking for this info please and is their a EB handbook for this MM 7 guitar that anybody might know about?

I do have the PDF (MAJESTY 7 CONTROL FUNCTION DIAGRAM 01-01-2016) and that helps but I was looking for more detail on the MM 7 please.

Looking to know:

#1: How long will the Two AA batteries last?
#2: Can rechargeable AA batteries be used?
#3: These Two AA batteries power the Mag Volume and Piezo correct and anything else?
#4: Any other Battery (or guitar maintenance advice or observations) that anyone can give?

Thank you everyone!

Byron Nemeth

Majesty's take 3X AA Batteries :D

ieso

It comes down to how many hours per day you play it and if you accidentally leave the thing plugged in when not playing it.

Wahoonc

Yes, and rechargeable also start from a lower voltage (1.2 V instead of 1.5 V). That's always a problem with digital electronics as they require a minimum voltage to function and simply stop working if they don't get it.

EDIT: Was attempting to respond to j4t above.

Nope, that’s backwards. Alkaline batteries start at 1.5, drop to 1.2 or less by the time they are half spent, and bottom out at around ~.5 volts. Rechargeable batteries start at 1.2 (most, but not all) and deliver the same voltage for 80%+ of each cycle, then they will fade like an alkaline.

An alkaline battery actually averages about 1.2 volts over a cycle, albeit with much more fluctuation and inconsistent performance. The rechargeable delivers a much more consistent voltage.

I’ve uswd rechargeable batteries in my guitars for years with no problem. YMMV.

Last edited:

ksandvik

If the guitar is just for home use you hear when the signal drops in and out and keep a fresh spare battery around and replace it.

For stage use it's good to replace the battery now and then, let's say for once-a-week gigging and you disconnect the guitar from the cable you could keep a battery in the guitar for 4-6 months, I replace mine every five month or so, or every four if I gig more than once a week. This is a Luke II with only one battery.

Top Bottom