• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

MaxKlein40

Here is the problem: When I have my gear (wireless pack's gain, wireless receiver gain, amp gain, envelope filters, compressors etc.) set up for my stingray (9v preamp) and switch to my bongo (18v preamp) on stage it clips everything and slams into the compressor and envelope filter way too hard.

Here is my goal: I want to run my bongo at max volume on the bass with no modifications to the instrument itself. I am set on having my bongo at max volume on the bass because its been a pain to try and dial in the exact volume needed with the volume knob. Simply "turning my volume on the bongo down" is not practical and when I messes up during a show and its too loud it clips my wireless pack and sounds terrible until I can try to dial it in again.

Needs: Doesn't modify the bass itself. Comes before the wireless pack after the bass (pack has its own gain). Is passive since its on my strap not my pedal board. Is compact since its on the strap. Affects tone as little as possible.

Here is my potential solution: I want to build an external passive volume control box to sit on my strap between my MM bongo and wireless unit to bring the level down to where my stingray's is. I want it to have a 1/4" in and out, and an internal volume pot (internal so that I set it to the correct level, put it inside the small project box, screw it together, and never worry about re-adjusting). I would then plug a patch cable from the bongo to the volume attenuator on my strap, and from the volume attenuator into the wireless pack that is also on my strap bringing the level down before it is ever a problem.

Questions: Type of pot to use and why. Any other ways to do this better. Potential problems with my solution. Any additional advice.

Thank you!

Last edited:

Mu5icM@n

I will tell you I had the same experience with my Bongo--it has a very hot output. After evaluating several potential solutions I can tell you the best thing for me was to use the volume knob for its intended purpose.

MaxKlein40

My envelope filter is very sensitive input-wise. To get the right tone out of it you have to hit it in just the right spot with your level so you set it up for the bass not the other way around. Because of this dialing the bongo in on the fly on stage is a pain especially with how "loose" (easy to turn) the pot is.

danny-79

I’m new to the Bongo but have found the same thing. I’ve had to adjust the gain on my wireless by a considerable amount, and the same with compressor and drive pedals. That’s with keeping the Bongo eq pretty much central, slight boost to bass and tone.
I’ll keep an eye on this thread but my conclusion is there is no quick fix Just readjust settings to suite

MaxKlein40

I'm ordering a bongo volume pot from MM, some quarter inch female jacks and a project box to try and make it, its a cheap experiment. I'll let you know how it goes and post a list of materials/diagram if it works well. It should be an easy build for anyone who knows how to solder.

danny-79

A trick I use that I totally forgot to mention and very much doubt I’m the only person to do it is on the pots on the bass I use the fixing (the hole for the screw) I set that so at center dent so as I’m looking down you can quickly visually see where you are at with setting,
No center dent on the volume obviously so just use it as a reference for quick adjustments - + etc

Mu5icM@n

Other things you can do: use a Line 6 G70/G75 wireless, which lets you program the output level and save many different presets, so you can play the Stingray preset and then switch to the Bongo preset with lower output volume. Or grab a Free The Tone PA-1QB, which will let you do the same thing with EQ presets + overall output volume. Pricey but people say it's really nice. Or look for a used TC Electronic RH-series head, which gives you three presets.

danny-79

Other things you can do: use a Line 6 G70/G75 wireless, which lets you program the output level and save many different presets, so you can play the Stingray preset and then switch to the Bongo preset with lower output volume. Or grab a Free The Tone PA-1QB, which will let you do the same thing with EQ presets + overall output volume. Pricey but people say it's really nice. Or look for a used TC Electronic RH-series head, which gives you three presets.

I’m currently using the Shure GLXD16, don’t know if it’s possible to store presets in it but adjusting the gain is a doddle just a case of remembering a number. It’s shocking how much gain has to be taken off for the Bongo. It’s -4db with the stingray and it’s at -13db with the Bongo!!! And could possibly do with a little more taking off especially when digging in hard with a pick !!

The effect is has on my compressor!! That’s a whole different story, but again easy on the fly adjustments

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Is it clipping the wireless unit itself? How do you handle switching the two instruments?

The easiest thing to do would be to have two settings for the gain on the wireless, and to just switch that when you switch guitars.

Are you just taking the wireless set off one bass, and putting it on another?

danny-79

Is it clipping the wireless unit itself? How do you handle switching the two instruments?

The easiest thing to do would be to have two settings for the gain on the wireless, and to just switch that when you switch guitars.

Are you just taking the wireless set off one bass, and putting it on another?

For me yes I only have one receiver and one transmitter but rarely if ever take two basses out to any one gig so for me it’s just a case of remembering settings. I’m still working them out as only had my first Bongo a matter of weeks. What I’m also coming to the conclusion of that after setting all the eq on Bongo to center dent going counterclockwise to -minus is a perfectly legitimate move. Just one I’m not used to :p

danny-79

Does anybody know if it’s a difficult job to replace the volume pot on a Bongo? Are the pots even available to buy ? There’s a lot of play in mine, it’s very loose, easy to turn. I’m starting to find that it’s moving around and not staying where I left it

mouth

I think the easiest solution for you would be to use a boost pedal (plenty of options to chose from) with your Stingray to reach the level of your Bongo, and then just turn it off when you play Bongo.

MaxKlein40

UPDATE: I went ahead and built it. 500K micro pot between two 1/4 jacks in a box. bongo plugs into the input, is attenuated by the knob, and goes out the output at the exact level of my stingray (used pro tools meters to get it as accurate as possible). When I run the stingray I dont use the box (it lives on the bongo's strap now). Both instruments now have the same output level before they even hit the wireless pack. Volume pot is inside the sealed box so there is no chance of accidentally messing up the setting and have to re do it. It works perfectly

danny-79

UPDATE: I went ahead and built it. 500K micro pot between two 1/4 jacks in a box. bongo plugs into the input, is attenuated by the knob, and goes out the output at the exact level of my stingray (used pro tools meters to get it as accurate as possible). When I run the stingray I dont use the box (it lives on the bongo's strap now). Both instruments now have the same output level before they even hit the wireless pack. Volume pot is inside the sealed box so there is no chance of accidentally messing up the setting and have to re do it. It works perfectly

Nice one.
Have you got photos of the build ? Glad to hear it works

Top Bottom