• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DanOwen46

I've been looking around for a good while now for a versatile guitar I can use for gigging that will deal with everything I need. The Cutlass HSS seems to be what I'm looking for, but would like to get some opinion from owners if possible? I live in North Wales, UK, and have nowhere nearby to try one out (5 hour drive for the nearest in stock), so getting an opinion and summary would be great before attempting a drive just to try one. One thing is for sure, the details on EBMM guitars are unreal and I would love to be part of the owners club.

What I'm really interested in is how the humbucker deals with high gain tones. I sometimes play Van Halen type lead and riffs, and would like to know if the 'bucker can handle this ok? It doesn't need to get to metal levels, but suitable for EVH, Vai etc tones. The single coils sound superb from the demos I've watched, so no issues with them.

I'm also curious on the choice of colours available. EBMM have mentioned on their website that there are three new colours to come in 2019, anybody know what they may be? I've seen on Sweetwaters website that they are showing one in Aged Buttercream, looks like one of the new ones? Other than that, I'm thinking of one in Firemist Silver or Vintage Turquoise.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Paulg2uk

I have an HSS version in charcoal frost. It's become my main guitar for most songs in my band. Like you I was looking for an allrounder that could handle that sort of thing. It can definitely handle the single coil stuff no problem and I can say it can handle some of the higher gain tones as well. It can certainly handle some Van Halen no problem depending on your amp of course.

I think the only highest gain song I use with my Cutlass in the band is Final Countdown and that's fairly high gain I suppose. I'd use it for other songs but they are usually tuned down so I have to use another guitar for that. I do play Metallica and a little Dream Theater at home as well and they sound pretty good.

Check out the Andertons vid from the Namm show it tell's you a little bit more about the new finishes starts around 6m50.

New finishes are charcoal sparkle, Drop Copper and the aged butterscotch you mentioned. I gotta say I really like the charcoal sparkle lol

I don't remember seeing a load of Cutlass models coming into the UK in fact I recommended a fellow forum member (Chris) last year to give Andy at Sound Affects Premier a shout as he got my Cutlass for me and Chris ordered his last year from him and it's due in April I do believe. He can certainly tell you what's due to come in and in what finishes and config's etc. You can of course order one but you'd be waiting a fair bit I reckon.

I hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

Paul

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
It's a super versatile guitar. I have an ivory white, which I love. A student of mine has the vintage turquoise (which is a gorgeous colour). I don't know when the new colours will hit Europe but it may be the summer or even later before we see them. Personally I love the buffered output (which means totally consistent tone no matter what cable length I use and no treble loss when turning down the guitar volume) though you may not love it if vintage-style fuzz pedals are part of your thing.

It can do hard rock, very well! Can it do metal? Well, as Henning the crazy German dude said somethign to the effect of "if you want metal, there are guitars made expressley for that, but if you want a versatile guitar that's not a Les Paul that can do everything else, the Cutlass is a great choice".

DanOwen46

Thanks for your advice Paul and Kev, I think I'll definitely be making the drive to try out one! It's in Vintage Turquoise too, so might end up buying it! Appreciate the video links too. I'll post on here if I get one ;)

edhalen

Hi Dan - welcome! If you do buy it, we expect a NGD (new guitar day) post with pics!!! You won't be sorry if you bring it home, trust us! :)

jmmp

I think my Cutlass HSS may be my favorite guitar. The humbucker has more midrange in it than the stingray humbuckers, and I find it to have a good amount of gain. I’d say it’s ok for Van Halen. Not sure about Vai stuff, as I figured he used higher output pickups.

Astrofreq

I have the SSS version and absolutely love it. It is unquestionably my main guitar and I was a hardcore Axis guy for 20 years. I can understand why someone would want a humbucker in the bridge position, but the single coil is no slacker.

Not trying to self promote, I just think this clip from my band give a really good representation of the range of tones in this guitar. Hope it helps.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Not sure about Vai stuff, as I figured he used higher output pickups.

Oh I don't know. Nothing an extra turn on the gain knob or a volume boost can't fixright? I mean unless we are playing his guitars into his his pedal board and amps and speakers with the same mics at the correct positions, I certainly don't care about the relatively small nuance that his precise pickups make in the grand scheme of all those things. HSS Cutlass gets me close enough to put a smile on my face.

As my Mom says "Don't sweat the petty things (and don't pet the sweaty things)". She's a very wise lady, sometimes. :)

TripHazard

I have an HSS version in charcoal frost. It's become my main guitar for most songs in my band. Like you I was looking for an allrounder that could handle that sort of thing. It can definitely handle the single coil stuff no problem and I can say it can handle some of the higher gain tones as well. It can certainly handle some Van Halen no problem depending on your amp of course.

I think the only highest gain song I use with my Cutlass in the band is Final Countdown and that's fairly high gain I suppose. I'd use it for other songs but they are usually tuned down so I have to use another guitar for that. I do play Metallica and a little Dream Theater at home as well and they sound pretty good.

Check out the Andertons vid from the Namm show it tell's you a little bit more about the new finishes starts around 6m50.

New finishes are charcoal sparkle, Drop Copper and the aged butterscotch you mentioned. I gotta say I really like the charcoal sparkle lol

I don't remember seeing a load of Cutlass models coming into the UK in fact I recommended a fellow forum member (Chris) last year to give Andy at Sound Affects Premier a shout as he got my Cutlass for me and Chris ordered his last year from him and it's due in April I do believe. He can certainly tell you what's due to come in and in what finishes and config's etc. You can of course order one but you'd be waiting a fair bit I reckon.

I hope that helps a bit.

Cheers

Paul

Yes, i second talking to Andy at Sound Affects.
When i ordered mine there were no HSS available at the distributor. SO if you can go and try one somewhere, i'd do so. And if its a nice vintage Turquoise, even better ;)

Top Bottom