• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Joeglow

Is anyone having any odd paint chipping on the sparkle finishes? I have a burnt apple SRS4 I bought 2 months ago and have noticed a few spots where the paint has "plucked" out in a couple of spots. They seem to be very perfect little round holes, down to bare wood. I have never seen anything like this before but on a very cool finish like this it's a tough thing to look at. 1 is located in front of the bridge, one in the center on the back, another above the E string near the bridge. Could this be a finish defect? I'd love to not have to worry that the finish is going to keep coming off and it'll look like crap in no time but if I do have a warranty on it I'd like to address it now. Thanks for any input, advice and recommendations.

Joeglow

Top, just over the bridge under the strings.
IMG_5230.jpg

Top, right next to the bridge pic, just above the E string
IMG_5231.jpg

On the back, dead center of the sparkle field.
IMG_5232.jpg

Last edited:

Joeglow

I sent an email earlier today with the pics as well. It's just a oddity. Thanks.

Joeglow

Update.

I received an email from EBMM today and they want me to ship the bass to them for inspection. Kudos to customer service for such a quick response and for caring about their customers and instruments.

danny-79

Update.

I received an email from EBMM today and they want me to ship the bass to them for inspection. Kudos to customer service for such a quick response and for caring about their customers and instruments.

Definitely one of the best customer services I’ve ever dealt with

Joeglow

So it turns out that my bass had a wood beetle inside of it eating his way out. EBMM is replacing the entire instrument! That is amazing to say the least. Thank you EBMM for being so great in handling the situation.

tbonesullivan

So it turns out that my bass had a wood beetle inside of it eating his way out. EBMM is replacing the entire instrument! That is amazing to say the least. Thank you EBMM for being so great in handling the situation.

WHOA. How did that happen? I thought usually they needed moisture to be able to eat the wood. I guess it was in there from before it was made?

Might want to check other basses/guitars to make sure they didn't spread, if that's possible.

Last edited:

Chuck M

Wait! It is an Ernie Ball beatle bass! Oh, you said beetle.

Ernie Ball production and inspection quality is so high that I have never needed the much touted great service.

Joeglow

Never seen it before either. No, none of my other basses have any issues. Yes, it was apparently in there before I bought it. I've seen another thread on a Stingray that had the exact same problem but the damage was so much far worse that it ate nearly 3/4 of the wood under the finish. Crazy!!! Apparently these little bastards can go dormant and awaken hungry as hell.

danny-79

Y

Wow ! That’s like a worst nightmare situation come to life!
Glad you’re getting it sorted out

Joeglow

Received my new bass this week from EBMM and it's beautiful. I am so happy and thankful to be dealing with a top notch class act company. A word to the wise though, I HIGHLY recommend you register your instrument with them and send your warranty if you've bought anything new. That alone was one easy way they could tell when I bought it, who I bought it from, and that it is indeed one of their basses, and it covers any possible defect or problem.

IMG_5365.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5364.jpg
    IMG_5364.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 198
Top Bottom