• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

wrexican

I bought this bass 2 months ago from musicians friend. I was thinking it might be the MN winter, but the fret ends came to me kinda sharp.

Does EBMM have any authorized service techs in the twin cities, I don’t want to wait the 6months (I’ve read) wait times to remedy this issue.

Thanks

Tollywood

The dry winters cause some neck shrinkage at my house, too. I run a humidifier in Tollywood (my music room) 24 hours a day in the winter to combat the fret sprout. It helps a lot.

ksandvik

A fret file is your friend, or make one using a triangle file and tape the two other sides so only one side has the teeth. Or take it to a guitar shop. Or maybe the frets are OK after a while if you change the temperature and let the wood breathe.

Mu5icM@n

This is called "fret sprout" and any good tech can take care of it pretty easily. Happens to maple fretboards, particularly new ones since they haven't dried out all the way yet, and also it happens when the humidity dips down (like in winter).

pacop

It happened to my 77 Stingray maple last year, wood is a living material

wrexican

still seems kinda ridiculous since it’s a brand new out of the factory bass, when EB boasts about meticulous fret work. it’s really the only thing I’m kinda bummed about. but, then again since there’s so many few in an actual store, I probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger on this bass.

ksandvik

It might have been perfect from the factory but then the shipping and transportation from one location to another might have caused the wood to shrink.

Top Bottom