• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

spychocyco

So last night, I was comparing my three Axes (Axii?) side by side, and it was very interesting. I was prompted because my guitar teacher keeps raving about how the BFR sounds so much better than the other two. I assumed he was saying that because it's newer and he likes it better than the other two. They all have the same pickups and materials, so it couldn't be that much different, right?

To my surprise, I discovered that the BFR does indeed have a fuller, richer sound than the other two. It's a very subtle difference from the Starry Night, and I would expect a little variation there due to the different materials, wiring and trem. So not a huge surprise.

What I wasn't prepared for was the massive difference between the BFR and my original Axis. Side by side my No. 1 sounds very thin and tinny. I was a little stunned because the differences between the two material-wise are mainly cosmetic -- same pickups, same woods. The only real differences are stainless frets, the newer-style trem on the BFR (which I love for the ease of going Drop D with the fine tuner) and the setup.

The action seems to be the common denominator between the two that sound better. It's a good bit lower on my No. 1 than on the BFR and the Starry Night, which are set just as they arrived. I've been thinking about lowering the action on the BFR a hair, but now I'm thinking I may need to raise the action on No. 1. I can certainly see that making some difference, but could it really make that much difference?

PeteDuBaldo

It could be the action in part or it could be a combination of that along with the individual pieces of wood and how it resonates. I have been fortunate enough to play a large assortment of the same exact model EBMM alongside each other (sometimes 2 or 3, sometimes even 7 or 8 depending on what we have in stock), and they are very consistent... BUT, there have always been one or two that truly stand out from the others. My guess is this is what you have, one of the diamonds!

Razzle

Funny, I was just playing my BFR axis the other day and thought it was tight and darker (like mahogany, IMO) and my regular axis was beautiful airy and resonant. Same PUs.

I can't imagine action affecting tone, other than perhaps the strings close to the fret wire reducing some of the vibration.

xjbebop

Action does make a difference. As the years go by, I've become more and more comfortable with slightly higher action. It lets the strings ring easier and changes the way you play. Also makes it easier to 'grab' a string for bends and vibrato.. blues / rock style.
But it really depends on your style and type of music you play.
I can also vouch for Pete's comment, in that I've had opportunity a number of times to try up to 6-7 guitars of the same exact model, and in my experience, every one had a unique tone & personality.
Oh yeah, and different strings can make a big difference too...

spychocyco

I broke out my ruler last night and set the OG Axis up to the exact string height of the BFR. It definitely has a fuller sound at that height, but still doesn't match the BFR. I'm going to re-string it tonight because the strings are on the old side, but I think Pete might be right about my BFR. :D

Another Noob

I've found that pickup height can make for a noticeable difference in output. I realize there shouldn't be "any" difference between these, but maybe?

Top Bottom