• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

timplog

salutations y'all!
apologies for posting same elsewhere but casting the net wide.

probably getting a Bongo4 and it's got the older style tuners-
noticed they're huge and they've got 4 screws each holding the key in place from the back.

there are newer lightweight tuners available on more current basses, are they exchangeable with these older styles and do they need different holes drilled or are they direct replacements?
will they cover any possibly unused original holes?

have a set of hipshot ultralights I'd prefer but they have only a single screw mounting and will never cover all the older screw holes in the headstock.

anybody looked into this?
thanks very much!

Pineweasel

The new MM tuners are much smaller and, like the ultralights, won’t cover the screw holes. The Hipshot BT1 is a direct replacement but only slightly lighter than the originals, as far as I know.

Tollywood

You may just have to live with the holes as a trade off for the weight savings. You could always put the old tuners back on if you ever sell it.

Or, wait until you have the Bongo to decide. You may be satisfied with the original tuners.

five7

I put ultra lites on mine. The holes didn't bother me because I don't spend time looking at the back of the peghead. I was thrilled about the bass being lighter and the balance on a strap.

danny-79

Depends on how many strings. I find my 4 string balances perfectly on the strap but heard of 5 string players talking about neck dive. Wait till you have got the bass and gauge it for your self

timplog

good advice and I will.
part of what I like about the Hipshots is the fine gear ratio...but probably the stock tuners will be great.

also have to agree the clover keys do look pretty good.

Top Bottom