• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

BurntRice

Hi everyone

I am seriously considering to buy a SBMM Cutlass to fill up the SSS void in my collection. I was doing some research and found that there are 2 SBMM models, CT50 and CT30, shockingly the prices are quite different.

It seems that the main differences are:
Body Wood: Basswood(CT50) vs Poplar(CT30)
Fingerboard: Rosewood(CT50) vs Laurel, Maple (CT30)

I only had the opportunity to try out the CT50 and liked it, but wanted to ask all the knowledgeable folk here if they have tried both CT50 and CT30? I am especially keen to find out if the necks kind of feel the same. I think the price difference is due to the woods being used, but other than that is there anything else to note?

Thanks in advance!

TripHazard

Part of the price is due to them moving it down the range into the SUB series. You might find a difference in metal quality on bridges and saddles, probably no locking tuners now, and maybe a smaller mass trem block. That’s speculation tho

BurntRice

Hey TrapperJ,

Thanks for your reply!

Did a bit of a check and you are right, there are no longer locking tuners, but I am not so sure about the trem block. I reached out to SBMM as well and the response was:

"The CT50 was our previous Cutlass model, discontinued in 2017. The new model, the CT30, is part of our entry level SUB Series line. It has been reverse engineered from the original CT50 instrument to fit the new $279.99 price point."

I think I will end up getting the CT50!

Thanks again!

Top Bottom