• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

njhammer

Not the best shot in bad light but, to me, the nut on the Redwood definitely has more of an "antique" look about it.

55540679_342198849812313_2010909121120829440_n.jpg

Ox Boris

The plot thickens...

I'm a bit nervous about replacing this nut. It seems to be under a layer of lacquer, in fact the lacquer is holding the broken piece in place. What's a luthier going to do from here? If that cracks away, what's involved in getting it back up like new?

IMG_5363.jpg

danny-79

The plot thickens...

I'm a bit nervous about replacing this nut. It seems to be under a layer of lacquer, in fact the lacquer is holding the broken piece in place. What's a luthier going to do from here? If that cracks away, what's involved in getting it back up like new?

View attachment 34991

They were definitely fitted first before the lacquer on a painted headstock was applied.
It’s going to be a case of unpicking it as carefully as possible then (how I have done one in the past) touching the edges up with model varnish/lacquer

tbonesullivan

Most of the guitars I have had the nuts fitted before finishing. You've gotta get a razor or X-acto knife and cut along the edges of the nut. The nuts are often glued in, and I think there is a tab on the bottom of the EBMM nuts to help position them.

Ox Boris

Righto, so I can reasonably expect a luthier to take care, clean up and make good?
I'm used to the aircon guy smashing the old one out with a hammer, screwing in the new one, then departing leaving a mess and the odd hole.

five7

Find a good one and check out his work first. Had a luthier here in denver who was highly recommended put a nut in a fretless sub 5 and chip the fretboard. Wanted to kill him, lol.
Don't remember it having a tab on the bottom of it though.

Ox Boris

The chaps at Music Man came back with a pic of a redwood from from their vault (opened the other day specifically to check) and it's a white nut.
From MusicMan Vault.jpg

There were cream nuts produced before the Redwood, on a specific limited edition run (they didn't say what) and it's possible one of those was used on my Redwood, but it's equally possible the white nut has indeed aged. It's a pity, I don't think i'm going to like the look of it. Maybe I'll try to get it recut in brass.

Last edited:

danny-79

After closer inspection the compensated nut on my stingray is cream and the one on my Bongo is bright white

danny-79

(The second Stingray has a standard nut on it, also bright white)
(All three are from 2005. DOB’s all very close to each other)

Last edited:

Ox Boris

ME: Can you scan this and produce a template for a laser-cutting firm?
SCANNING BLOKE: Yes. $750.
ME: Can you laser-cut this for me in brass?
LASER-CUTTING BLOKE: Yes. $39,600 for 10,000. How many do you want?
ME: One.

danny-79

ME: Can you scan this and produce a template for a laser-cutting firm?
SCANNING BLOKE: Yes. $750.
ME: Can you laser-cut this for me in brass?
LASER-CUTTING BLOKE: Yes. $39,600 for 10,000. How many do you want?
ME: One.

:eek:I’d of had one off you for the sake of having one spare even though I don’t like brass nuts.
Any takers for the remaining 9,998? :p

Top Bottom