• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Philthy

Need some help and advice on this one. I can't seem to figure this out. I have a new Stingray Special 4HH. I love it. It feels amazing but, for the life of me, I can't figure this one out. No matter what I do, I cannot get rid of an E string rattle/buzz from the 7th to 12th fret. No other strings have this issue but the E. I changed the strings to a fresh set and the same thing. Using Lo Rider Nickels 45-105. Neck relief is .012" and string height is 3/32" at the 12th fret on the E string. I've tried more relief, higher action, check for high frets....nothing. I'm at a loss.

Bert

Where does the rattle originate?
Play the 7th fret - does the vibrating string touches the 8th fret?
more relief, higher action, check for high frets....nothing hmh...
Once I had a loose trussrod that rattles at some frequencies (no EB).

Bevan

Need some help and advice on this one. I can't seem to figure this out. I have a new Stingray Special 4HH. I love it. It feels amazing but, for the life of me, I can't figure this one out. No matter what I do, I cannot get rid of an E string rattle/buzz from the 7th to 12th fret. No other strings have this issue but the E. I changed the strings to a fresh set and the same thing. Using Lo Rider Nickels 45-105. Neck relief is .012" and string height is 3/32" at the 12th fret on the E string. I've tried more relief, higher action, check for high frets....nothing. I'm at a loss.

Try lowering the neck pickup, I have heard this can be a source of buzz. The new Neodymium magnets are very strong.

Zen

Probably not this but thought I would mention it. I had a similar issue with my Bongo 5 a few years back were I would get a weird buzzing only on certain areas of the neck. I also tried everything, new strings, more relief, less relief, higher action, checked the nut, checked the bridge. At my wits end I took it back to the shop I got it from to see If they could figure out this mystery. Turned out to be the bloody strap pin was a little lose but would only vibrate at certain notes usually A up to C on the on the E string. It was a good long while before I could go back to that shop without turning red. 😂. Lesson learned I now make sure I check that every single screw on my basses are checked before I start with anything else.

Philthy

Try lowering the neck pickup, I have heard this can be a source of buzz. The new Neodymium magnets are very strong.

In my research, I've seen a couple of people mention the neck pickup. I might give this a shot. Is there any suggestion on how low I should go? Standard spec is 8/32" from bottom of G string to pickup cover. Is another 1/32" too much?

five7

maybe the beetle's are vibrating, lol
seriously if you have raised the action high enough to do archery it's not a high fret.
if you have a framing square set it on the frets if you can't see it with your eyes.

Top Bottom