• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Recon

Hi Guys!

I know that there were a few similiar topics here, but i didn't found answer for my question.

What are the sound differences between EMG SL20 set in Luke II and Dimarzio transition set in Luke III. Mainly i want to know are Transition pickups more present, brighter and opened than SL20?

Thanks for help!

ksandvik

You will get different answers. Both are good. Due to active electronics the EMGs are somewhat more compressed-sounding, compared with IIIs being more organic in nature. Best is to try both and make a decision. But I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Luke uses both II and IIIs on-stage.

LordRiffenstein

I'm sure both sides have their die hards, but in my opinion you'll get a more bright and open sound with the Luke III. I have the SL20 set in a non EBMM guitar and I think they're great pickups too. When playing by myself I prefer the dimarzios, while playing with a band the added compression of the EMGs sounds great in the mix. ymmv

BrickGlass

I wish someone would make a video comparing the single coil pickups in those two guitars side by side.

beej

EMGs, to me, are very even in their frequency response, without the typical dips/bumps that you get with real single coils. You often hear people use terms like "dull", "lifeless", etc. to describe them- what they really mean is that they're missing that EQ they're used to hearing. I'm guessing this is one of the reasons they worked so well for Luke during the studio years, where they were consistent, and allowed someone at the board to tweak the final product.

The Dimarzios, while not real single coils (stacked noiseless), come closer to what we expect to hear.

In both cases, I think the solution is to EQ with your ears, not your eyes. As an example, I've had a few Bill Lawrence pickups before that were flat. The recommended approach was to turn down the treble and bass and crank the mids, which totally does the trick. But it looks weird, and wouldn't work with a different set of pickups.

Top Bottom