• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

strummer

Enormous Member
Hi everyone, long time since I posted anything here, but now I wnat to share...

I have played Musicman basses for quite some time (I think I got my first Bongo 5 HH in 2005), mostly Bongo fivers but also SR, both 4 and 5 strings. Once I tried a Sterling 5 (London 2009), but until last week I had never had a 4 string Sterling in my hands.

But, I "needed" a four string bass, there was a Sterling for sale and knowing the EBMM quality I had no hesitations about buying it without trying. I sort of knew about the Sterling: Kind of like a SR with a bit downsized body, thinner neck and parallell/single/series switch. Or so I thought...

So I got it, a little surprised at the low weight, plugged it in at home, sounded fine, restrung it and set it up like I like it, and went to rehearsals, where the bass completely blew everyone away! Cuts through like no bass I have ever had before, packs an amazing punch and that stick like neck and tiny body felt totally like home after ten minutes. My band mates loved not only the sound, but they all agreed it looked great too!

Yeah I like my new to me Sterling, think maybe I should have tried one earlier...

danny-79

I’m seriously contemplating a Sterling next. I’m after something HH to replace my light function band bass. A Sterling is a very good contender

strummer

Enormous Member
I'll tell ya what's not low key: that yellowy green bass in your avatar. Or, is that a filter trick? Do you have any pics of that?

That is Heinz, and I need to change my avatar as that bass is once again back with @Bovinehost, who will no doubt post pictures of said bass if asked.

I have only owned Heinz twice, and I am looking forward to perhaps owning that bass again. It's that kind of bass.

Tollywood

That is Heinz, and I need to change my avatar as that bass is once again back with @Bovinehost, who will no doubt post pictures of said bass if asked.

I have only owned Heinz twice, and I am looking forward to perhaps owning that bass again. It's that kind of bass.

Good lord, man, how could you let it slip through your fingers twice?!?

Just kidding, mostly. Is it a StingRay5?

Mu5icM@n

Sterlings are great. I've picked up two in the last year--a '00 trans red fretless and an '02 Blue Dawn. The Sterling fretless sound is amazing--I've wanted one for 25 years and I finally decided to just go get one. The Blue Dawn is my favorite finish so had to have one of those. Sterlings aren't all super light--the fretless is very light but the Blue Dawn Sterling is average--but they sound amazing and I love the neck on them. My favorite thing is to put super zingy bright strings on them and use them in series mode, with good eq they cut through like nothing else.

strummer

Enormous Member

Thanks Bert!
This true for all Sterlings? Mine is from 2001, and I suddenly got an urge to look under the prickguard:)

Edit: Forget it, I used the search function (I know...)
When I wrote an article on the Sterling last year all my research indicated that the original Sterling model wiring configuration is unchanged. Phantom coil is still there for sc sounds.

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Well, the Sterling was originally a 4 string version of the 5 String Stingray, which had different electronics than the 4 string. If you've got a 5 String from before 2007, the sound will be very similar to a Sterling.

Top Bottom