• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

edubenitez65

I started collecting Music Man guitars, buying, finding a better one, then selling, you know?. My present GAS is for a JP15, is it wotth the extra $$ for a BFR? Did any of you played them both?

SpeakingToStone

Yes, I've had both. It's all about the fretboard material. If you prefer roasted maple, go with the regular JP 15; if you prefer ebony (like I do) spend the extra cash and go for the BFRs.

Bartman1

Kind of wondered. I bought my JP 15 teal quilted. Didn’t say anything about BFR. But on the back neck plate it has, BFR. Haven’t figured it out . It has the roasted neck and fret board

PeteDuBaldo

Stay with me here, it can be a little confusing.

The JP15 and JPX, XI, 12, 13, 16 were all marketed as a BFR upon their release, and this is noted on the neck plate. This goes back to the BFR JP that first appeared back in 2006/2007. These were considered "BFR" because it was an instrument or options typically only available to an Artist or family member, and have may been available in specific colors, a limited quantity, or for a limited time.

The order window timeframe could be a month, a year, or a few years, or even several years depending on how EBMM wants to produce them (examples: the JP16 was only available for 2 years and the JP13 for around 4, while the JPXI is still currently available).

Recently there have been some runs involving the JP15 with unique options/colors as part of the BFR limited production instruments shown at the NAMM Show. Orders for these items could only be placed during a 3-day window at the trade show, and the quantities produced reflect those orders.

The Teal JP15 will have a BFR neck plate, but the certificate of authenticity will not mention production numbers.
The limited production JP15 BFR instruments will have a BFR neck plate, and the certificate of authenticity will specify #__ of #___.

johnnyboogie

JP BFR, JPX, JPXI, JPQ12, JP13, JP15, JPXVI are all BFRs.

Then you have the Limited Edition BFRs, formerly lanced as PDN (Premier Dealer Network).

edubenitez65

Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting the roasted maple one, and Johnnyboogie is right, they're all BFR. No COA, but it has it on the neck plate. Amazing guitar by the way, one of the best I ever played, if not the best, and I played quite a few.

Top Bottom