• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Acro

I'm a newbie to MM guitars. Just a hobbyist / collector .
Which model will sound different from an American Stratocaster ?
Have no budget , plus sweetwater has 4yr 0% interest :D
Thank you in advance..

GWDavis28

So your looking for something other than a strat type of sound? What sound are you looking for? There are tons of great used deals out there is you know what you want?

Glenn |B)

Acro

Thanks Glenn, was looking at the Majesty.Beautiful. Not sure of sound, maybe kinda like a les paul ?

Fro

Any model other than the Cutlass. The Cutlass is the model that sounds closest to your Strat.
Maybe a Stingray for a LP type sound
With no budget you should think hard about whether you need anything other than your Strat. Maybe a pedal to get your LP type sounds.

GWDavis28

NP man, if your looking for a Les Paul kind of thing, you might want an Armada. A JP model will get your HH sound, but not really Les Paul. JP's are great guitars and if your looking for something other than the same ole, same ole, there are a few EBMM's that'll fit the mold for you. I'd recommend the AL HH, as long as your into the shape, it puts some people off, but it's the most balanced guitar you'll ever hold and very, very under rated. St Vincent from what others say around here is killer and they offer an HH model now as well. Again another extremely balanced guitar.

Glenn |B)

Last edited:

RSG

So... you’re new to MM guitars, want a LP tone, and sky’s the limit with Sweetwater? I don’t know anyone that has crossed over to MM guitars looking for a LP tone. Maybe you should play few before making the commitment to a new one without knowing what to expect. You’ll get a bunch of suggestions here but our opinions may not match the tone your seeking.

MesaBeno

Any model other than the Cutlass. The Cutlass is the model that sounds closest to your Strat.
Maybe a Stingray for a LP type sound
With no budget you should think hard about whether you need anything other than your Strat. Maybe a pedal to get your LP type sounds.

I might be wrong, but I took OP's "no budget" to mean there are no budget limitations; not "budget is $0" :/

Fro

No budget limitations? In this case you need to get one of each:
Stingray
Axis
Axis Super Sport HH
Morse Y2D
Albert Lee HH
Luke III
JP15

In a seriousness, you should find a Morse BFR HH model. The pickups are really nice and it’s built for a great rock tone.

lifeson1

Maj is H-H, but NOT an LP. It will cut like a LP, but it's got its own thing going on. Probably the most versatile guitar out there. AND it can sound like a strat, as well. I would play one before diving in, though.

If you are looking for an LP scale and similar tones, Armada all the way. But with these guitars, personally, you just can't go wrong.

Top Bottom