• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Fender720

Hi guys just got a musicman axis super sport I have always used super slinkys for years .Any thoughts on changing or sticking with super slinkys?

johnnyboogie

I strongly suggest you try Elixir strings. They come in 3 different versions: Nanoweb, Optiweb, Polyweb.

The variation applies only to the E, A and D strings. G, b and e are the same for every version.

Practically indestructible. The shine, brand-new tone and tuning lasts for ages.

Gore | Improving lives through advanced materials
Welcome to Elixir Strings

Congratulations for your new guitar, enjoy!!

Last edited:

Astrofreq

I used normal Slinky strings for decades. I threw on a pack of Ernie Ball Cobalt strings when they were released and I was an instant convert. I absolutely love the bite and growl of the Cobalts.

Certainly give those a try on your Axis.

beej

I’m using EB Super Slinky, Paradigms, and Cobalts, depending on the guitar.

The Paradigms sound like Super Slinkys but last quite a bit longer. I’d probably try those, or stick with the Slinkys.

spychocyco

I played Super Slinky for a lot of years before I ever owned an EBMM, and I stick with them. It's the factory string for the Axis (well, the RPS version). Of course, nothing wrong with experimenting, but I always come back.

BrickGlass

You cannot beat the Ernie Ball RPS strings in whatever gauge you prefer. I’ve broken one in ten years and I teach guitar for 40 hours a week, and play in multiple bands and do a decent amount of studio work too. Best strings I’ve ever used.

Flash Gordon

With the Axis pups... I would suggest Pure Nickel strings in what ever gauge you prefer. Gives you that classic rock tone. But, it really depends on type of music you’re going after. I tried cobalts and m-Steel, but output became muddy.

Sweat

I strongly suggest you try Elixir strings. They come in 3 different versions: Nanoweb, Optiweb, Polyweb.

The variation applies only to the E, A and D strings. G, b and e are the same for every version.

Practically indestructible. The shine, brand-new tone and tuning lasts for ages.

Nope EB Strings only, many options none wrong, Elixer worst strings I ever tried.

LordRiffenstein

Gore | Improving lives through advanced materials
Welcome to Elixir Strings

I agree, I am a big elixirs fan, Opti and Nano specifically. For EB I use regular slinky's though I did like the RPS that came stock on my JP 6

Pops

For home use I use Elixir as they last a long long time and I hate changing strings.
If I were still gigging I would still be using Harley Benton dirt cheap nickle plated string sets from Thomman
10' or 9's €1.49 or £1.29 in the UK for a full set.. cheaper if you are in the USA.
I know some of you will be aghast at using such cheap strings but they do the job.
The majority of an audience wouldn't know or care what strings you have on your guitar.
I used to buy 100 sets at a time when gigging and never broke any either
Use a set for 2 or maybe 3 gigs and throw them away..
I defy anyone to tell me what brand of string anyone is using or how old they are just by listening to ANY track on ANY album.
If you say you can then you should be in the Gunness book of records as the biggest Bulls****** on the planet.
The best string is one that does the job for as little cash outlay as possible for a gigging musician and trust me the HB 's do the job and I doubt you'd find any that's cheaper but best bang for buck buy in bulk.

Last edited:

johnnyboogie

For home use I use Elixir as they last a long long time and I hate changing strings.
If I were still gigging I would still be using Harley Benton dirt cheap nickle plated string sets from Thomman
10' or 9's €1.49 or £1.29 in the UK for a full set.. cheaper if you are in the USA.
I know some of you will be aghast at using such cheap strings but they do the job.
The majority of an audience wouldn't know or care what strings you have on your guitar.
I used to buy 100 sets at a time when gigging and never broke any either
Use a set for 2 or maybe 3 gigs and throw them away..
I defy anyone to tell me what brand of string anyone is using or how old they are just by listening to ANY track on ANY album.
If you say you can then you should be in the Gunness book of records as the biggest Bulls****** on the planet.

Hahahaha, lmao!! Couldn't agree more.

As far as regular Ernie Ball strings and me playing is concerned they simply don't last. Their shine and tone is gone within a couple of hours and they don't maintain tuning.

I heavily dislike the stainless steel edition as it has sort of a wire feeling. Not smooth, not silky feel at all.

The Titanium edition is decent, with that technology applying to all strings and not just the heavier three.

The Cobalt edition is fantastic as far as feel is concerned but the technology applies only to the three heavier strings with the three high strings being regular slinkys. In addition, the Cobalt strings don't last.

Finally, the Paradigm edition does break without pulling the string like a maniac as seen on the promo videos and again, they don't last.

All that given that my hands are super-dry and almost greese-free.

Last edited:

ksandvik

Slinkys are great, up to 5 gigs or less -- just my opinion. I'm a cheapskate so I use D'Daddarios that last 2x the time, but then the intonation is gone as well. I rather use $5 set strings and replace more often (again, intonation issues) than longer lasting strings with close to 2x the price.

LordRiffenstein

I usually use elixirs but also have slinkys around for any unforseen string changes or if I am swapping pickups/saddles etc and am unsure if I'll like them. That said I'm not all that dedicated to one brand or another. I play EB, D'addario, elixirs etc...they all feel a little different but I don't really think any sound better or worse than any other. It's nothing that I think about while I'm actually playing.

beej

Ok, so I'm an admitted EB fan- beyond loving the company (I can't count the number of stories I've heard where they have gone above any beyond for people, not to mention when they've done that for me!), I'm a huge fan of their strings. I've basically used Slinkys since I started playing guitar, with a brief switch to another brand and back. They are innovating in some amazing ways (and always have).

If you've spent any amount of time on this forum, you will have heard Big Poppa (Sterling Ball) thank god for the string business, because it's kept their instrument business alive. Without EB strings, there would be no Music Man as we know it, or forum that we're posting on.

I'm not saying you should switch what brand of strings you're using, but I wanted to throw that out there.

agt

I am addicted to EB Cobalts. In the past I've tried Elixirs (meh), D'Addarios including the NYXLs (not bad), Slinkies (what I used for years), but nowadays I always come back to the Cobalts. YMMV.

Fender720

Hi Thanks for input I will try them all and give you feedback Thanks again Kev SHEFFIELD UK

Wahoonc

I switched to the titanium reinforced coated slinkies a couple of years ago and have been happy. They last a long time compared to any other string I've tried. I tried and liked the cobalts too, but I preferred the slightly warmer tone of the coated slinkies. For what it's worth, I have never had a problem with strings breaking so Paradigms seem like overkill for me (haven't tried them) and I did not like elixirs.

Top Bottom