• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Chuck M

I play bass with the worship team at my church. I have a fairly large collection of electric basses and have played about 6 different basses at church including my Bongo 6 HH.

I usually play one of my 6 string basses and prior to playing the Bongo the only remark made to me about my bass was "six string bass"?

Now that I have played the Bongo I get asked again and again "where is the black bass"?

I honestly thought that the members of the congregation would not notice anything about the bass I was playing unless I played really bad. I was wrong. They love the Bongo. So do I. IMG-3311.jpg

five7

If I was able to post pictures, I would of my new stealth sterling 5 HH. It is quite the bass!

Karl

Yeah this forum is very poor if you want to upload images, mine always come out so small it is not worth attaching them.

Last edited:

five7

I click on mange attachments and nothing opens up. Have tried for weeks to post pictures. Is it a site problem or something else. I was able to change my avatar but that's it.

bovinehost

Administrator
Chuck and I used to hang out and play at blues jams at a rather notorious bar in San Antonio. One of the waitresses was a seasoned veteran and had never spoken to me other than, "Whatcha need?" She had seen some things, I assume.

One night long ago, I brought a Bongo - a Desert Gold Bongo, which as we all know is really quite orange. It didn't blend in and of course the jammers (including Chuck) had plenty to say about it.

When I was done playing, I went to the bar to get some water (back then, I never drank while playing, hah) and the woman in question said, "Sweetie, what IS that you're playing? That's just about the coolest instrument I've ever seen!" And we went on to have a conversation about that instrument.

Bongos. People notice them.

Chuck M

If you click on the photo it opens a larger view.

Yes, Jack, we had some laughs in that bar. Some of the stuff that went on was crazy. The old gent that owned the bar passed away recently. Not much has changed since his son took over, however, the city council passed an ordnance a few years ago that prohibits smoking in bars and restaurants and that really put the hurt on that bar. The Friday night jam is long gone and the Sunday jam is not very well attended.

But....back to the Bongo..yes it was a memorable night when you brought that bass out.

Chuck M

One additional thing about the Bongo...I adjusted the preamp to give me the tone I wanted and have never touched any of the knobs again except for the volume. That is remarkable to me because I frequently tweak the tone to suit my mood on other basses. The tone of the Bongo just always suits me.

Top Bottom