• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

wynn

Hi, I love my Luke3 but find the Transitions not to my taste, I like a more vintage sound. I contacted Dimarzio to ask if they though swapping out the magnets on the Trnsitions for Alnico 5s might work but they didn't recomend it. They suggested I swap to a pair of their 36th anniversary pickups. Anyone tried these? Any thoughts on how they'd split and work with the preamp? I'm thinking that the preamp being able to boost the split sounds might work really well. Would be glad to hear youir views.

LesPaul

Interesting how we all have our own tastes. Personally, I find the Transition bridge in my LIII HSS a nice contrast to the high output pups in my Majesties and JPs. The pups in my Axis Supersport also have their own character. At some point I'd like to snag a Silo as well since they hsve totally different pups as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tollywood

A friend of mine put DiMarzio 36th Anniversary pickups in his Morse and they sound fantastic.

I put Bare Knuckle Holy Divers in my Luke III and I’m super happy with them. I kind of went the opposite direction as you, going hotter.

IMG-2536.jpg

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

The 36th anniversary pickups will definitely get you that nice vintage sound, if that is what you are going for.

Also, I know some people are nuts about magnet swapping, but switching out a magnet isn't going to give you instant vintage tone. Magnets have no inherent tonal qualities. It's the pickup design that results in the end sound. They designed the pickups to Steve Lukather's specs around ceramic magnets.

Top Bottom