• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Ernie Man

It seems to me the BFR "series" would lend itself to the occasional small run of discontinued models for those of us who were unenlightened to EBMM at that glorious time when the Reflex was being made. Being new to EBMM, I don't know of any other model that has been discontinued. Maybe some long timers could think of some.

GWDavis28

Axis Sport, Silhouette Special SSS, Reflex, Game Changer, Big AL Bass.

EBMM doesn't usually reissue instruments after they've discontinued them. BFR's are small runs of like upgraded instruments, different finish, wood combinations and such. Remember the members of this forum are more passionate than most. They are trying to turn a profit and make some great instruments. They'll post pictures of things and we'll all be hot an bothered by it, but when it comes time to step up, most either don't or just can't. I myself am guilty of this. There use to be a lot more teasing around here in the past, I miss that part.

Glenn |B)

St_G

Big Al was the first model that popped into my head, BUT...the BFRs that I'm aware of have all been small tweaks to hardware or finish, not things that require changing up big parts of the manufacturing.

I won't pretend to be an expert, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that it would be a non-trivial effort to retool the plant for a body they don't normally produce.

So... Fun dream, but only that.

beej

Yep. The big sellers are still selling.

My two faves of the discontinued instruments are the 25th Anniversary Guitar (the pre-Reflex or 'Preflex') and the 20th Anniversary Silhouette.

Both short duration runs, mind you, but classics in my mind.

threeminutesboy

AL MM90, all piezo (Luke, silhouette, axis super sport, AL), Luke II, Luke I were all discontinued.

Luke I was actually reissued as an anniversary edition.

I’m with you Beej about 25th mine being a Bfr it’s my precious

threeminutesboy

AL MM90, all piezo (Luke, silhouette, axis super sport, AL), Luke II, Luke I were all discontinued.

Luke I was actually reissued as an anniversary edition.

I’m with you Beej about 25th mine being a Bfr it’s my precious
Just realized all EBMM I own are actually discontinued...scary

Last edited:

PeteDuBaldo

There are a few that I'd like to see come back, but the quick list I can remember of now-discontinued guitar models (not simply discontinued options) going back to when we first started selling the EBMM line in mid-2004 is as follows:

SUB 1 guitars
Benji Madden
Luke 2
20th Anniversary Silhouette
JP BFR Baritone
JPX, JP12, JP13, JP16
Silhouette Double-neck
Reflex/25th Anniversary Music Man/GameChanger
The MM90 AL/Armada/Axis SuperSport
Semi-hollow Axis SuperSport

jones4tone

There are a few that I'd like to see come back, but the quick list I can remember of now-discontinued guitar models (not simply discontinued options) going back to when we first started selling the EBMM line in mid-2004 is as follows:

Semi-hollow Axis SuperSport

The semi-hollow is discontinued? Is that recent?

GWDavis28

Yah know it might be kind of cool to have a sticky thread of the discontinued stuff. There are way more than I had remembered.

Glenn |B)

Tollywood

Gotta remember there's a reason they were discontinued....

Very True. It is sad to see the models we like discontinued but the factory is only so large. They stopped producing some models but look at all of the wonderful new models we've been offered in their place.

beej

Way to look on the bright side ... you're so right. There have been some amazing new additions that have been really successful.

spychocyco

The semi-hollow is discontinued? Is that recent?

I didn't know that either. Glad I got one.

The one I missed was that pinkburst AL BFR. I always wanted one of those, but there was no way I could afford it during the time they were in production. Still hope I might pick one up used one day. On a side note, I found an awesome Axis with the same color scheme, fret markers, etc., a few months back from a Japanese seller that sorely tempted me, but they wanted about four grand for it.

Astrofreq

The most mind-blowing guitar that should have garnered more attention is the Reflex. I play mine DAILY. It is just sooooo warm sounding.

Top Bottom