• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Astrofreq

I have a question that hopefully the wiring gurus can help out with. Hypothetically, could I take out a volume/tone pot and replace it with a toggle switch of some sort? If so, would on be full and off fully backed off?

Or, are pots and toggles not interchangeable in that way?

I’m asking because those Hunter Hayes Cutlass models look amazing, but I’m thinking I could simplify the controls considerably.

Last edited:

beej

Yes, absolutely.

You can do it a few different ways really. It doesn't have to be just off/on- you can switch in resistors to mimic what the pot is doing. Or better, switch between two trimpots where you can set the levels to be whatever you like, without re-soldering anything when you change your mind.

jones4tone

Yes, absolutely.

You can do it a few different ways really. It doesn't have to be just off/on- you can switch in resistors to mimic what the pot is doing. Or better, switch between two trimpots where you can set the levels to be whatever you like, without re-soldering anything when you change your mind.

My son is working on a very elaborate wiring scheme for an S-type he has to convert from SSS to HSS and soup it up. (Will it work? Check back!) But one thing he included is a double pot on a single shaft, so that with a push-push in another position, he can switch between the 250k or 500k on the double pot depending on whether the bucker is split or not. Cool option to have.

Astrofreq

But one thing he included is a double pot on a single shaft, so that with a push-push in another position, he can switch between the 250k or 500k on the double pot depending on whether the bucker is split or not. Cool option to have.

I was definitely looking at a push/push like on the Valentine. Except I would have the “un-pushed” (for lack of a better word) take the place of the neck pickup blend. I’d have it full on or off when the selector isn’t in the neck position.

Top Bottom