• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

SeizeTheKarp

Hey guys,

First off, sorry if this has already been covered. I checked the search and didnt see anything. feel free to point me in the right direction if theres already something about this.

On to my post...

been playing bass for about 6 years now and finally got the opportunity to upgrade my SBMM sub to the real deal. I found an awesome deal for a used stingray on guitar center. I called the store and tried to get as much info as i could and according to them its in like new condition. I'm wary of them giving me the salesman act and am prepared for anything. It will be here on Monday. Are there any red flags to watch out for when i inspect this thing when i pick it up from the store? are there any quirks to EBMM stingrays that are abnormal from other brands like fender? thanks in advance for your replies and advice! cheers.

ksandvik

I think CC has a 30 day return policy so you could take it back, but if CC had to ship it from another location you need to pay for the transport.

Otherwise take it for a spin *with new strings* and make sure the electronics work, no extreme fret wear so you need to refret it the next week and otherwise is fun to play. Bass guitars take a lot of pain, I would not worry about scratches and dings myself (just gives the bass character). But if the neck is super-scratchy then it's not fun playing the bass (IMHO).

Mu5icM@n

Tough to go wrong with a Stingray, usually it's the cosmetics to worry about. GC has a very liberal return policy, something like 30 or 45 days. You might be out the shipping unless they misrepresented the product somehow. New strings and new battery definitely. Sometimes the knobs will become loose or not placed correctly on their shafts but it's nothing that a little hex key won't fix. It may need a setup also--a tech can tell you what it might need. But overall they're great basses and tend to stand up over time.

Golem

The main thing about buying a used Stingray is
if it's fretless and has a piezo bridge, don't buy
it ... cuz it's spozed to be for ME to buy that one !

Other than that, just plow right ahead. Make sure
the truss rod is not at or near the limit for a good
set up. I have encountered that a coupla times. I
fix that with a fender washer [small f], but I'd just
rather not need to do it.

Otherwise, never had grief. Got about a dozen MM
right now and about the same amount have gone
to new homes. They are very trouble free.

Last edited:

rcl

Congratulations. Please let us know how you like her. I have had a couple. They are fantastic instruments. I have had to do a refret and replace a volume pot on one I have had for 30 + years. As others have stated. Fret wear, trussrod and some kinda neck dings are about the only thing to be concerned with. The frets you can replace. The others a bit more tricky but. Send pics if you can. Enjoy

SeizeTheKarp

Alright. soooo i picked it up today. and this thing is gorgeous. i thought the bass i was buying was black (not a fan of black basses. too boring) but its not its metallic grey. It really is in fantastic condition. the only issue ive run into is one of the saddle screws is stripped but ive already put a call into the company for a replacement. i think ive found another forever bass :)

Fleece3

Alright. soooo i picked it up today. and this thing is gorgeous. i thought the bass i was buying was black (not a fan of black basses. too boring) but its not its metallic grey. It really is in fantastic condition. the only issue ive run into is one of the saddle screws is stripped but ive already put a call into the company for a replacement. i think ive found another forever bass :)

Congrats!!!! While that saddle screw can be replaced with a Home Depot screw, please resist that temptation. Go ahead and get a factory replacement. Ernie Ball is gonna charge you $7.50 shipping. So if you notice something else you might wanna replace or have in reserve, order it on the same order.

Tollywood

You can copy the address of the picture and then type
after the address.

phatduckk

I'd focus on making sure all the parts are original. The aftermarket parts selection isn't huge so if anything's "off" it'll be easy to spot. I'd just make sure the pickup is original - anything else would be pretty easy to spot

Rod Trussbroken

what do you mean by address? local file path? or?

You have to use a picture hosting site eg "Photobucket" (or similar). Some are free. They give instructions on how to upload your pic to the host.

When you pic appears on the host site, right-click your mouse on the pic and you will see "Address (URL)". Opposite this you will see a long code. Highlight and copy.

Paste this in the in you post here on the EB Forum. Then prefix the code with "
". The pic will then appear in your post after you submit it.

Last edited:

rcl

Congrats, Can't wait to see it.

" forever bass" Yeah that about sums it up for me too. My main bass was an Alembic back in the 80s. Then..... I saw this odd looking thing hanging on the rack in a music store. It looked a little like a green toilet seat with its roundish pick guard. I picked it up and plucked some notes. About 45 minutes later my wife said ," we bought that, didn't we". To this day I find it hard to put down. I sold the Alembic some years later.

Top Bottom