• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

TheSilentE

What pickups should this StingRay5 have?
Hi everyone, A friend gifted me this bass which was being modded from a fretted 5 string to a fretless and the pickups have been removed. It also seems the input was moved from the face to the side edge. I just wast to get this woking again and am having a hard time finding the correct pickups, model number or any info. My friend has tons of instruments and doesn't remember what ws in this before the mod began. I am adding some photos, any input would be great!
Thanks, Tim

Attachments

• IMG-6328.jpg
    IMG-6328.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG-6326.jpg
    IMG-6326.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG-6329.jpg
    IMG-6329.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG-6327.jpg
    IMG-6327.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 155

Bert

What pickups should this StingRay5 have?
Hi everyone, A friend gifted me this bass which was being modded from a fretted 5 string to a fretless and the pickups have been removed. It also seems the input was moved from the face to the side edge. I just wast to get this woking again and am having a hard time finding the correct pickups, model number or any info. My friend has tons of instruments and doesn't remember what ws in this before the mod began. I am adding some photos, any input would be great!
Thanks, Tim
That bass came probably with a white pickguard, four knobs (vol, treb, mid, bass) active electronic 9Volts and a white pickup, the input was at the side edge.
Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-29 um 11.06.20.png

tbonesullivan

Dang. I have no idea why someone would butcher a bass like that, unless they somehow nuked the electronics. I mean, I know it's their bass, and they can mod it how they want, but if they wanted a Jazz bass, why not just buy one instead of doing that to a Stingray?

Mu5icM@n

Ugh, sorry to see that bass in that state. It'll need a single H pickup and a proper pickguard to cover the other pickup rout. If you can get the serial #, customer service will give you the original configuration and maybe help you find parts for it, though getting a pickup might not be possible without the original.

tbonesullivan

Unless the original electronics can be found, probably easier to just get an aftermarket setup. I am fairly certain that EBMM will only send out replacements if the original broken part is returned.

You can however find the pickups sometimes on ebay or reverb. The electronics? Rarely. Probably ended up in the garbage.

TheSilentE

Thanks for all the input. Looks like I will go with an aftermarket pickup. Anyone have a suggestion for an affordable solution?

Mu5icM@n

Look at the John East preamp. What a shame, take care of that thing and get it back to the state it deserves to be in.

danny-79

Could always sell it on as salvage. I’d give it a good home.
If you are interested in selling it let me know

Last edited:

five7

I have seen preamps and pickups out of SBMM stingray 5's and their sub 5 models for sale. Might not be the real thing but would sound close.

TheSilentE

Thanks Danny, I would, but shipping to the UK alone would be prohibitive. What do you think it's worth as is?

danny-79

Thanks Danny, I would, but shipping to the UK alone would be prohibitive. What do you think it's worth as is?

Flat pack it :p

I’d just be guessing if I said a price. The state it’s in not a lot. It’s definitely salvageable, after market pick up and pre amp (check out John East and Nordstrand)

Top Bottom