• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Twigman

Can someone tell me how the new roasted necks are finished please?
The thing that makes playing my Sterling most pleasurable is the oiled/waxed neck.
I am a little tempted to get a second new Sterling 4HH (vintage blue pearl) but I'm unclear as to how the roasted necks are finished. As no dealer here in UK has one in stock and will only accept pre-orders I don't want to splash out >£2k only to find I don't like the feel of the neck.
Thanks

tbonesullivan

They are still finished with the "hand-rubbed gunstock oil and wax", same as before. Only a few select BFR runs with binding on the fretboard are satin finished.

danny-79

I always thought roasted necks were all lacquered to give the finish depth. Only ever seen photos in this neck of the woods

danny-79

Depends on the model. I know that some of the guitar models had satin or gloss necks, and the Old Smoothie does, but the new Stingray Specials definitely have the oil and wax blend:

StingRay Special | Basses | Ernie Ball Music Man

Thanks for that I will look that up next. Lacquered necks for me are just a no no. They can look great and be a main part of the finish giving the wood the depth but personally struggle with them

Top Bottom