• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Mace13

Hi, Has anyone seen anything like this? I noticed this when adjusting the piezo volume the other day.

The neck on my 6 month old Majesty has developed this interesting "feature". I do not know if it is superficial or something sinister. I'm sending it in to EBMM for inspection/repair since the guitar is under warranty. Some info: The guitar has never been dropped, dinged, banged, poked, prodded, pulled, pushed, bumped etc. It has never seen any change in temperature (always indoors, never stored in the car etc.). Also, the guitar continues to have rock solid tuning, even after dive bombs and trem pulls (up 3 semi-tones).

Anyway, just curious if anyone has ever seen this on any guitar. I have played/owned guitars continuously for 36 years and not seen this. Of course I've contacted EBMM customer support and have an RMA but just wanted to see if anyone has seen this. Thanks much!

7FFCFDC6-29B9-4E57-BC58-0FF4F6CF8039.jpg

johnnyboogie

Haven't seen it but I guess it just happens.

It may be on the paint or even the wood and exhibiting like that. They should know better.

Mace13

Just to clarify, this defect was not present when I received the guitar. I just noticed it the other week after about 6 months. But, I’m perplexed where it came from or what could cause it.

I wouldn’t think such a defect, whether it is a paint or wood defect, would just happen on a Majesty.

tbonesullivan

Is it a crack? Like is there space there? That's just odd for that to happen. But, it's wood, so sometimes things happen.

Mace13

I honestly don't know if it is a crack and I pray it is not. I cannot feel any space in there. When I pull the trem up while putting my finger on the defect I cannot feel any defect movement.

steevo

It does look like a scratch, if it was a break it would have sharp edges surely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RSG

Put that guitar on a diet, it’s busting out of its paint!

Mace13

Thanks for the replies. What I don't understand is that it is so crooked looking. A scratch would be nice and straight and not so jagged. Hopefully it is just something superficial in the paint caused by some underlying imperfection in the wood grain. It looks like the shape of wood grain. anyhoo, it'll be a few weeks before I send it to EBMM since we've got regular gigs for the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Mace13

Hi folks. Just wanted to follow up on this. The guitar was sent back to EBMM and they found a pretty large crack in there. This crack is at a location they've never seen before. Mechanically, it doesn't make any sense it would crack at that location since that is a fairly beefy area. The origin of the crack will remain a mystery but the guitar must have gone through some type of "trauma" during shipping or something, which focused a lot of stress at that location. At any rate, the guitar was otherwise in absolutely pristine condition (it didn't fall or get whacked or abused by me at any time). EBMM worked out a deal for replacement and really took care of me on this issue. I can't wait to get it back, I really love how the Majesty plays and feels. I love the JPXI and PRS but the Majesty is just a different level.

Wahoonc

Wow--good thing you followed through with customer service. The way shipping companies handle cargo, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more. Here's to speedy delivery of your guitar and happy playing!

spychocyco

Nice to hear a happy ending. I would have guessed it was just a stress crack in the paint. Good thing you sent it in.

Mace13

The other thing that was odd with this crack is that the tuning was rock solid. I continued to use it because I just love how it plays and we had a lot of gigs (a lot being relative...about 1/week). The tuning was rock solid with no issues at all.

And yes, the customer service was rock solid as well.

Mace13

It ended up they will replace it. The new one is being built. Likely one of the disadvantages of a through neck design is that if there is a major neck defect it is more cost effective to replace the guitar compared with repair. They'll 'harvest' the original hardware from the old one but the body and neck will be new (which is why it takes a while). Sounds like the electronics inside will also be 2019 version, likely because that is all they have now. I asked about tossing in some of the new 2019 pick-ups in there while they're at it. They didn't bite. :)

Top Bottom