• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Helix89

Hello!

So I've never really had a bass with a pickup selector. Recently got myself an EBMM Sterling HS and I love it.

But I have a question that maybe is dumb... maybe not. When I start with the pickup selector in 1st position (neck position/Coil 3+phantom) and move it slowly towards 2nd position, at some point in between the two there is a click/audible volume increase from the speaker and I get a different tone having the switch there than either 1st or 2nd position. Same thing happens between position 3 and 4.

Maybe I don't know enough about how the wiring works? What could be happening here? Is it possible to have both wirings active at the same time (something like Coil 3+phantom+2 or such)? Anyone else ever have this experience or can shed any light on it?

Thanks!

Helix89

Sorry I may have my position #s inverted, I was thinking closest to neck was position 1.

danny-79

If you are moving the switch very slowly it’s possible that for a second, two circuits are active at the same time. You can do that though with any blade style selector

Helix89

Ok thanks so much! Didn't know that about these types of selectors, very cool to have more tones available than I thought

Golem

Didn't know that about these types of
selectors, very cool to have more tones
available than I thought

Most likely the three "official" selections
are the only hum-resistant combinations.

Top Bottom