• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Awhitlock

Hi everyone.

A newbie to the forum here :p

I've a feeling this question has been asked MANY times, but I'm new to this forum stuff and not sure where to look.

I've had a couple of Axis's and ASS's over the years, as they have become my go-to guitar "feel", especially in recent years.

I've got the chance to get a BFR ASS, but never pulled the trigger on one before. I'm usually not one for bling and prefer woods, tone and the guitars mojo when playing over looks. HOWEVER, I have seen one that I think looks amazing! And have serious G.A.S. for it!

What's everyone's experience with BFRs over normal builds?

Awhitlock

Oh .. I'm a UK'er living in Germany... musicman guitars are quite hard to find and very expensive here. The BFR is approx 2000€ more than I'd usually pay for an axis/ASS. So, I need some expert opinions from you guys.

The issue is I will potentially be buying "blind", without a chance to play it beforehand.

Magic Jason

I currently own an AL BFR and other various AL models. (PDN or regular)

"Qualitywise", they ARE all the same.

Regarding the sound, it is a question of what you like most.

As an example, both my AL SSS sound great. The BFR is more 50's strat. The PDN is more 60's strat.
Yet the differences are subtle and I suspect it does vary just the same within the same range of instruments (BFR or "regular").

I've also owned a few Luke III's

- 1 "Hazelnut BFR"
- 1 regular Bodie Blue
- 2 "limited" rosewood-necked Olive Gold

I would chose the Olive Gold over the BFR anyday!

Not that the BFR wasn't a fantastic instrument but the rosewood neck brought a sweeter tone to the Luke III that was more to MY liking. Once again, it's a question of what YOU like.

So, IMHO, BFR is more a question of looks, fancy woods and "rareness".

I love mine and will never part with it but... a "regular" model could very well be more suited to you!!!

Last edited:

Pott

Yep. My BFR AL (PDN 2016) came with a way-worse setup, but is otherwise the same quality as my other MusicMan.
To my mind, it's not that BFRs 'should' be better and non-BFR worse; BFRs just up the options. But non-BFR MMs are extremely good and consistently so.

GWDavis28

Hi everyone.

A newbie to the forum here :p

I've a feeling this question has been asked MANY times, but I'm new to this forum stuff and not sure where to look.

I've had a couple of Axis's and ASS's over the years, as they have become my go-to guitar "feel", especially in recent years.

I've got the chance to get a BFR ASS, but never pulled the trigger on one before. I'm usually not one for bling and prefer woods, tone and the guitars mojo when playing over looks. HOWEVER, I have seen one that I think looks amazing! And have serious G.A.S. for it!

What's everyone's experience with BFRs over normal builds?

Which BFR Axis?

Glenn |B)

Awhitlock

Magic Jason
TrapperJ
Pott

Thank you guys for your honest input. It is fantastic!

I am really having to think now (Haha!)

spychocyco

It's the trans blue quilt top, from the Jan 2018 run.

The Aqua Blue? If I'm not mistaken that one has a mahogany body and neck, so may have some more pronounced differences.

That said, my original Axis and my Steel Blue BFR sound very different from each other despite having the same basic materials. The original is a little more brash and a little more to the treble end. The BFR is more refined and a little darker. I love both, but the BFR has my favorite tone of any of my guitars. I attribute some of it to the pickup covers, but that can't be all of it.

Top Bottom