• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

weezerfan

Hello,

I'm very new to EB MM guitars, and just got my first Cutlass SSS, a 2017 Charcoal Frost which I've fallen in love with. Think I'll be selling my Strat now.

I'd really like to add an EB MM that has a humbucker in the bridge, and was wondering if the pickup is different between the Stingray and an HSS Cutlass. I really can't tell from the descriptions for each on the web site if they are essentially the same pickup.

Thanks!

GWDavis28

Nice congrats and welcome!! It doesn't exist without pictures!! I am not a current owner of either Cutlass or Stingray, but I'm sure other will help out.

Good luck with the decision. You might want to take a look at the AL HH, super guitar as well.

Glenn |B)

weezerfan

Thanks GWDavid28! I'll post a pic later. (At work now...not getting much done...)

I'll check out that AL model. I was not familiar with that one. Thanks for the tip.

I'm very afraid I'm going to want more than a few Music Man guitars. I'm simply shocked by how much better the Cutlass is than my 2018 American Elite Strat. Night and day how much better the EB MM is.

GWDavis28

Yah the Cutlass has had a lot of love around here since it dropped and the roasted series necks are super sick.

Albert Lee HH | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man

The AL reminds me of the Jetsons, it's a great guitar and the humbuckers to me are just great, but I stink, so take that with a grain of salt.

Glenn |B)

weezerfan

Here it is:

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

I picked it up at our local Sam Ash store. I went in to see if they had any of the new Les Paul Modern models in stock, as I was really curious about the new necks on those. However, as I'd been watching a few EBMM videos on YouTube, I noticed two Cutlass's hanging on the wall, both listed at $999. I was like 'huh'? I asked the guy there what the deal was with those...were they used? Defective? He said that they were brand new, and had been marked down as they wanted to clear them out. Sam Ash (or at least that store) is no longer going to carry EBMM, as they just weren't selling. He said 'everyone wants either Fender or Gibson on their headstock nowadays'. He checked the prices on them, and saw they had listed for $1599, and that Sam Ash's cost on them was 1200. They were both 2017 models. (My serial indicates it was made November 2017.)

I played both for about an hour (through a Freidman amp, which is INSANE btw...now I want one of those also...) and couldn't decide between this Arctic Frost SSS and a white HSS. The HSS had a maple neck (not roasted), which simply wasn't as nice to play on as the rosewood, so I went with this one.

I think this is the great value on a guitar I've ever gotten. I am so in love with it. The tone is so fabulous. EBMM really has nailed it with these pickups. They are the most amazing, articulate things I've ever heard. Even my wife has commented on how gorgeous this guitar sounds. And I don't know if it's the compensated nut or what, but it seems like there are never sour notes...it just sounds perfect.

click track

Welcome to the addiction....I sold a 2005 Honeyburst Les Paul Standard to get my first JP6 and would do it again and again and again.... the EBMM's are simply amazing

TripHazard

Weezerfan you made a good choice with that Cutlass - I’d have bit the guys hand off too!when are Gibson and Fender fans gonna get on the ball train

weezerfan

@GWDavid28, @phatduckk: Thanks!

@TrapperJ: Good question about when Fender/Gibson fans will discover EBMM. I've honestly never personally known someone who had them, and none of my fav players used them, so I'd never really even known about their guitars...only knew their bass, from the RATM bassist, who I dig. I'll def be recommending the Cutlass to any person I hear is considering getting a Strat. I'll probably keep my two Gibson's, as those will be much harder for me to part with, at least for now, than my Strat. I really enjoy playing both of them, even though I think the EBMM is a far superior instrument. I've got a 2017 LP Studio and a 2000 SG that I both love.

@click track: Yes, I've definitely gotten the addiction. I just made an offer on Reverb for a used HSS Cutlass, and definitely want to add a Stingray asap, when the funds replenish. And some of those BFR models are beautiful.

TripHazard

@weezerfan, I hear ya. I love MusicMan but I still love my 59 AVRI strat - much like your Gibson’s I would really struggle to let it go. It’s seems difficult to get an EBMM in peoples hands but once they do, lots get hooked it seems.

Daniel

Hello,

I'm very new to EB MM guitars, and just got my first Cutlass SSS, a 2017 Charcoal Frost which I've fallen in love with. Think I'll be selling my Strat now.

I'd really like to add an EB MM that has a humbucker in the bridge, and was wondering if the pickup is different between the Stingray and an HSS Cutlass. I really can't tell from the descriptions for each on the web site if they are essentially the same pickup.

Thanks!

Hi Weezerfan,
The pickups in the Cutlass HSS and the Stingray are different materials. The Cutlass uses ceramic pickup magnets where the Stingray uses alnico. The two guitars also have different body woods which contribute a lot to the tone of the instrument. The Cutlass RS uses alder, and the Stingray is made from African Mahogany. I hope this helps! Let us know if you have any other questions.

weezerfan

Thanks @Daniel! I was curious if the tone would likely be different between the two, in the bridge pickup position. Sounds like there will be some, which I was hoping for. I went ahead and ordered a used HSS Cutlass on Reverb and will be looking to add a Stingray soon. I tend to use the bridge pickup the most across all my guitars, single-coil or humbucker, so was curious.

I can't believe this will be Cutlass number two in less than 2 weeks. I've never bought two guitars this quickly. You guys at EB make amazing guitars.

Daniel

Thanks @Daniel! I was curious if the tone would likely be different between the two, in the bridge pickup position. Sounds like there will be some, which I was hoping for. I went ahead and ordered a used HSS Cutlass on Reverb and will be looking to add a Stingray soon. I tend to use the bridge pickup the most across all my guitars, single-coil or humbucker, so was curious.

I can't believe this will be Cutlass number two in less than 2 weeks. I've never bought two guitars this quickly. You guys at EB make amazing guitars.

Hi Weezerfan,
There is a pretty significant tone difference between the Cutlass and the Stingray RS. The mahogany body of the Stingray gives it a darker tone. We did release a new Cutlass Hunter Hayes guitar and a Dustin Kensrue Stingray, both with upgraded electronics that are awesome. You should check them out on our website:
Hunter Hayes | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man
Dustin Kensrue | Guitars | Ernie Ball Music Man

Top Bottom