• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DrMatthewCross

Hi,
I'm new here. :cool:
I play bass since a couple of years, been a guitarist for 20+ years. When it comes to bass tone, I've always preferred the sound of a P bass with flats, and that's what I've used for the most part. Recently I added a Caprice to my collection and realized how many great tones you can get with it (including a good P bass tone of course). Now I have a P with flats and a PJ with rounds, so I'm able to cover a lot of ground.
But... I've always wanted to try an active bass and my first choice have always been the legendary Stingray. I'm thinking about getting a Special, for a number of reasons you probably already know.
I prefer the look of single H Rays, but I guess the HH version can be more versatile. I've been in many local stores recently and I was able to find only H models, so I don't know about the HH.
My first concern is the position of the neck pickup, which could be annoying for some people when slapping. I'm not into slapping that much but it's a technique I use when needed, and I like it.
I'd like to hear your opinions, since like I said I can't try an HH for now.
Thanks.

danny-79

All my basses (The EBMM’s anyway) are all single H so next it got to be a HH to replace my J bass.
Just try as many as you can see what works best for you

DrMatthewCross

@danny-79 Why don't you try an EBMM Caprice? Despite the looks, those pickups are both humbuckers. Of course, it depends on what you like about a J bass. I consider the Caprice mostly a P bass with a J neck and a J bridge pickup, wider tonal palette, and more treble. I like J basses mostly for the soloed bridge pickup tone, with maybe a little bit of neck pickup on top. Definitely not for the soloed neck pickup. That's why I bought a PJ in the first place.
Back to the Ray... I will try all the models I'll find of course, but like I said HH models aren't very popular here.

@strummer That's an interesting way of using the neck pickup of course. :)
With my Caprice, I mostly use the neck (P) pickup and I rest my thumb on the pickup, which is is very comfortable. When using the neck pickup I do the same thing.

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

I like the single H and HS rays. I find that the big pickup in the neck is just too much.

There's a TON you can do with a single H, the EQ, and different playing positions.

Edmang

Assuming you are talking 4 string, an HH can get all the sounds available in the H. 5 string with the selector provides different options.

Some people find the HH to get in the way of slapping. For other not an issue.

If slapping is not a concern, comes down to whether you prefer more options, or simplicity of a single pickup bass.

DrMatthewCross

There's a TON you can do with a single H, the EQ, and different playing positions.
Active EQ + playing positions should offer enough versatility for me. I'd love to try an HH though, I hope I'll find one soon.
Assuming you are talking 4 string, an HH can get all the sounds available in the H. 5 string with the selector provides different options.
Some people find the HH to get in the way of slapping. For other not an issue.
If slapping is not a concern, comes down to whether you prefer more options, or simplicity of a single pickup bass.
Yeah, I'm looking for a 4 string. Honestly, I tend to prefer simplicity when it comes to instruments and amplifiers. If I want to go more in deep with sounds I usually rely on pedals, but it doesn't happen very often.
You should get the BFR Dargie.
Cool bass, of course. Aesthetically speaking, not particularly appealing for my tastes.

danny-79

@danny-79 Why don't you try an EBMM Caprice? Despite the looks, those pickups are both humbuckers. Of course, it depends on what you like about a J bass. I consider the Caprice mostly a P bass with a J neck and a J bridge pickup, wider tonal palette, and more treble. I like J basses mostly for the soloed bridge pickup tone, with maybe a little bit of neck pickup on top. Definitely not for the soloed neck pickup. That's why I bought a PJ in the first place.
Back to the Ray... I will try all the models I'll find of course, but like I said HH models aren't very popular here.

To be totally honest the Caprice is something that I have totally overlooked and definitely something that I’ve never come across in a music shop or even a show to have any first hand experience with but it now has my attention.
The J that I own is the smaller lighter, active, Deluxe model. I use it mainly when playing in my function/cover band as it’s light, easy to get around so perfect for long sets.(and the blend control for the dual pickups is very easy for on the fly drastic tonal changes). It’s a nice bass but there is something about it that I can’t quite put my finger on that I don’t like about it. Doubt I’ll ever sell it but looking into alternatives

Last edited:

DrMatthewCross

Finding a Caprice in the EU wasn't too hard for me, I needed to wait and search for a little while but eventually I bought one of the last (if not THE last) available.
On the contrary, I can't find an HH Stingray Special anywhere (I mean locally) and I'm not sure I want to order one online just to see if I like it or not. I think I'm gonna wait a little bit more, I already have two basses to play.

danny-79

Finding a Caprice in the EU wasn't too hard for me, I needed to wait and search for a little while but eventually I bought one of the last (if not THE last) available.
On the contrary, I can't find an HH Stingray Special anywhere (I mean locally) and I'm not sure I want to order one online just to see if I like it or not. I think I'm gonna wait a little bit more, I already have two basses to play.

Like I say I’ve never seen a Caprice apart from in photos so can’t comment until I’ve tried one. Like with anything though test driving and owning is a totally different experience so you won’t really know until you have owned one for a while and put some miles on it.
But for me, next bass is either going to be a Stingray or Bongo HH (both eventually :p)
Only ever had one from brand new and that was 18months ish old when I got it

strummer

Enormous Member
@strummer That's an interesting way of using the neck pickup of course. :)
With my Caprice, I mostly use the neck (P) pickup and I rest my thumb on the pickup, which is is very comfortable. When using the neck pickup I do the same thing.

Well, all I really meant was that the HH models of the Stingray are giving me sound options I don't need, since the bridge pickup is in a great spot as it is:) At the same time, playing a little closer to the neck (as you'll probably do when resting thumb on neck PU) is extremely comfortable.
On Bongos it's a different story, as the bridge pickup on those is closer to the bridge, and therefore you can't get the single H sound out of those basses.

Cory778

To me, it’s always an H, but I find the most usable tone is the pickup selector closest to the neck, which on single H is coils 1 and 2 in series. This sound isn’t available on the HH. If it was I would probably have at least one, but to me H has the best sound!

Edmang

To me, it’s always an H, but I find the most usable tone is the pickup selector closest to the neck, which on single H is coils 1 and 2 in series. This sound isn’t available on the HH. If it was I would probably have at least one, but to me H has the best sound!

The Stingray 4 is only Parallel. That is what the original poster said he was interested in. The SR5 has the switch so you can choose series or parallel.

brash47

I have the Cutlass and the Caprice....which have totally taken over the need for me to get a P bass, PJ, or a Jazz.

Moving to original topic. The single H is the classic sound. You can shape the tone however you want. Slapping is a piece of cake on this bass, even with the pickup near the bridge. The sound is still great.

If you need a thumb rest like someone said earlier, when I grabbed my classic stingray used....it had this thumb rest already in place and man, it's an awesome little device. The screw holes are lined up perfect for your pickguard... that might help you as well.

Heres a pic...
cf0afbc0a4e5e86e25f9e49f22abe283.jpg
bc93d40c702e26bffe32efe49243f63a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

DrMatthewCross

Thanks for the infos.
I have a Caprice and I'd like to use it for classic mellower stuff and I'm thinking about getting a single H Special for more aggressive tones. If the Caprice with flats can do the P thing well I can even sell my P and keep the EBMM couple.
I'm struggling to find the model I want, so I'm probably gonna order online from a big UE shop like Thomann.

Top Bottom