• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

tj1

Hi

I bought this new about a year ago, and have been very happy with it - the feel, quality etc.

Except one problem has arisen over the last couple of weeks and that is that when I strum a chord more than very softly: the B string sounds particularly and intrusively twangy and seems to override the sounds of the notes on the other strings.

I wondered if anyone had had a similar problem and if there was a fix?

Any advice gratefully recieved.

beej

When you say "twangy", do you mean it's buzzing slightly?

If so, and this is happening on the lower frets, you might need to adjust the truss rod to allow for a little more relief.

jones4tone

Is the B string an open string in the chord when you observe this? Does it similarly stand out from others when it is fretted in the chord?

tj1

Is the B string an open string in the chord when you observe this? Does it similarly stand out from others when it is fretted in the chord?

No it is only apparent when the B string is fretted. I am not sure it is buzzing, its just the sound from the fretted B string seems to overhelm all the other strings - open or fretted.

tj1

It seems to be most apparent in the frets nearest the headstock.

jones4tone

No it is only apparent when the B string is fretted. I am not sure it is buzzing, its just the sound from the fretted B string seems to overhelm all the other strings - open or fretted.

Mike has a good question there, certainly.

Also, I would try loosening the string just a bit, then see if it seems to be settled in the saddle as it should be. Then bring the string back to pitch and see if anything changes with regard to the tone of that string. Are the saddles block saddles or bent steel?

tj1

Thank you - do I need to remove the strings to adjust the truss rod? - sorry I know very little about guitars.

mikeller

Thank you - do I need to remove the strings to adjust the truss rod? - sorry I know very little about guitars.

No, need to keep them tuned as normal. At the foot of the neck by the neck pickup you will see the truss road adjustment. If you have your guitar face up on your lap, slip a tool (like an allen wrench or small screw driver) into the furthest hole and lightly pull it towards you, 1/4 turn MAX. It may not have immediate results, give it an hour or two and recheck.

Last edited:

tj1

Hi Mike - I took your advice ... and guess what?.. it fixed it... thank you so much.

jones4tone

Hi Mike - I took your advice ... and guess what?.. it fixed it... thank you so much.

Hey, glad you got it resolved. And that was a really simple fix. I generally find myself needing to adjust the truss rod on my EBMMs slightly both spring and fall, as the humidity changes seasonally in our climate. But your experience may well be different from that.

Top Bottom