• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Hi y'all,

I need a compressor (preferably in a mini pedal) and a small footprint uni-vibe type thing and possibly adding a Strymon Flint because I'm just not happy enough with the TC Hall of Fame and the Tremolo is a big bonus.

Possibilities.

Xotic SP Comp
JHS Whitey Tighty

Anything else I should look at?

TC Viscous Vibe (Seems like most bang for the buck)
MXR Uni-Vibe (slighlty small than the TC Viscous Vibe)

Have I missed anything? What are your experiences with these? Give me your thoughts, please!

Thank you, everyone!

Astrofreq

I love Xotic products and have a couple myself. Can’t go wrong.

I’m not really a Strymon guy, but if I had to pick one, it would be the Flint. I have a Source Audio Ventris, which is way more bang for the buck (and sounds more natural to my ears). But for tremolo, I have the Spaceman Voyager. The whole pick attack=trem speed sold me instantly.

For vibe, I also have a Mr. Vibromatic because it is super warm.

Last edited:

elvisdog

Love my Flint. The harmonic tremolo option is worth the whole cost of admission, and the reverbs are killer.

After decades of experimentation, I have landed on the Origin Effects Cali76 compact compressor, the two-knob version. Despite the name, it's not really compact, a little bigger than a standard stomp box, but it sounds great. First pedal on the board, stays on the whole time.

QuietSpike

Kev-

The SP is great. The EP boost is also great... so great I leave it on almost all the time. Both enhance the sound very tastefully with no intrusion.

The Flint is awesome... as is any Strymon product I’ve tried. Can’t go wrong there.

Good choices... I wouldn’t suggest anything else.

mikeller

DrKev - nothing on the Uni-Vibe, no experience, but would highly recommend you looking at the Barber Compact Tone Press compressor. The compact is a fairly small footprint (not a mini pedal however) and they are extremely versatile and quiet.

Mike

beej

I have two SP comps on different boards, they're pretty versatile, it's hard to go wrong with them. (Though sometimes I miss my old Orange Squeezer clone for the really squishy stuff.)

On the vibe- another option if you don't 100% need one is to cover it with a phaser. I've always had a phase 90 on my boards and tend to work the wheel with my foot when I need more swirly stuff. Close enough for gigs.

coolhandluc

I have the SP on my board. I liked the Wampler EGO better, but sold it to get a mini before they had the mini. I'd get the Mini Ego if something happened to my SP.

What kind of reverb are you looking for? The Wampler Mini Faux Reverb has been my favorite. It's got that drippy spring thing I was missing with the TC Electronics stuff.

beej

Reverb is so subjective. But I agree about the TC HOF- I've never loved it either.

I've been using an EBS Dynaverb for many years (plate algos) and I haven't found anything that's been close to kicking it off. (At this point, it would have to be something in a mini-sized pedal).

mikeller

I missed the verb part of the posting. I can not say enough good things about the Neunaber Immerse Reverberator. It is a standard size pedal and very studio quality. Check it out

jones4tone

Thanks, Mike and Jason! I’m now giving my HoF the stink eye after hearing some demos of the Immerse and Dynaverb. Both of them sound really great.

DrKev

Jones, I have two TonePrint for spring reverbs that are pretty cool (and the Tarantula tone print from the app is also great) but they’re just not close enough to a good spring. The spring reverb is the HoFs only weak point. I think I’m done with it now.

So cool to have so many awesome replies. Thank you all!

Astrofreq

I have an Alexander Sky Fi which is an amazing reverb. Also has delay too. The best part is that if you hold down the foot switch, it sends it into self oscillation, even if the pedal is bypassed. Super cool. They’ve made a fancier version, so you can get the older ones for a great deal.

LordRiffenstein

The SP is awesome but I'm also a mark for Xotic effects (have the BB and wah too). The only issue with it is if you're a heavy tweaker the switches being inside can be annoying. If you're a set it and forget it guy and just need some minor tweaking with the knobs you're golden.

DrKev

So far, I got an emptier wallet than I had anticipated. Decision is to buy an Xotic SP compressor. The Strymon Flint is a definite want buy but even used they are pricey. There are more cost effective options.

I have however, in true DrKev style, spent a ridiculous amount of time getting a not-far-off-uni-vibe sound from the modulation section of the TC Sub'n'up octaver. I can post screen shots of the tone print editor if anyone wants it. :) For now, I'll get by with that until TC or MXR do a mini version of their Uni-Vibe pedals. Love Pedal Pickle Vibe being considered too.

Last edited:

Spudmurphy

Compressor.
Origin Effects - either the Slide Rig or Cali ....... game over :) You'll be sounding like Lowell George lol

I have the large footprint sliderig - and they now produce a smaller footprint version.

Pops

Many years ago I had an original Bob Sweet Mojo Vibe handmade by Bob signed and numbered.I sold it just after Bob died of cancer in 2008 to a lad in Edinburgh A few years passed and I took a hankering for that Vibe sound again.After checking out what was available I bought a DryBell Vibe Machine mk1 it's absolutely outrageously good.Much smaller footprint than the Mojo Vibe but IMHO a better Univibe sound.

Last edited:
Top Bottom