• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Finnwood

Hey

I've been looking at some BFR limited runs recently and it seems alot of them have a very thin neck finish as opposed to the famous gunstock oil.

So for those who have tried any of these, how do you like them?

Also, when MM adds binding to a neck, does the width stay the same? PRS necks, for example, seem to get a little wider when they add binding.

This might seem a little anal but as someone with smallish hands the width is super important and i really love the 1 5/8 width. All other specs i can work with :)

Thanks for all and any replies.

jones4tone

Welcome to the forum, Finnwood!

I haven't measured it at a micrometer level, but I have two Valentines, one with and one without binding. I do not notice a difference in width at all between them. The edges of the fretboard that is bound are not rounded in the same way as the unbound neck, and while this is not at all uncomfortable, it does lead to a slightly different feel to me.

As to finishes, on the BFRs that have binding, they are using a light finish rather than the oil and wax you may be accustomed to. (They also did this on ALL Cutlasses and Stingrays prior to the RS series when they switched to oil-wax for the roasted necks. I think this was a cost decision, as Cutlass and Stingray were introduced at a lower price point.) I scarcely notice the difference in finish between my two Valentines. The finish on the bound necks is nothing like what you often see on necks from Fender, say, which I find easily get tacky to the palm of my hand while playing.

Awhitlock

What a cool thread! It's a question that is relevant for myself too. Your reply, jones4tone, is great. A big thanks from me.

Finnwood

Welcome to the forum, Finnwood!

I haven't measured it at a micrometer level, but I have two Valentines, one with and one without binding. I do not notice a difference in width at all between them. The edges of the fretboard that is bound are not rounded in the same way as the unbound neck, and while this is not at all uncomfortable, it does lead to a slightly different feel to me.

As to finishes, on the BFRs that have binding, they are using a light finish rather than the oil and wax you may be accustomed to. (They also did this on ALL Cutlasses and Stingrays prior to the RS series when they switched to oil-wax for the roasted necks. I think this was a cost decision, as Cutlass and Stingray were introduced at a lower price point.) I scarcely notice the difference in finish between my two Valentines. The finish on the bound necks is nothing like what you often see on necks from Fender, say, which I find easily get tacky to the palm of my hand while playing.

Thanks!

Alright, sounds good so far. Big possibility of a NGD incoming soon :)

spychocyco

I have the Blue Steel Axis BFR with binding and the satin neck finish. I was concerned about that myself, but I love the finish on the neck. I've got four other oil and wax finished EBMM necks, and you lose absolutely no playability with the finish. As a matter of fact, it's quickly become my No. 2. (Nothing will ever replace my original Axis).

As far as the binding goes, I haven't measured, but the neck does feel just a hair wider in my hands. Not a big difference at all, though. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Daniel

Hey

I've been looking at some BFR limited runs recently and it seems alot of them have a very thin neck finish as opposed to the famous gunstock oil.

So for those who have tried any of these, how do you like them?

Also, when MM adds binding to a neck, does the width stay the same? PRS necks, for example, seem to get a little wider when they add binding.

This might seem a little anal but as someone with smallish hands the width is super important and i really love the 1 5/8 width. All other specs i can work with :)

Thanks for all and any replies.

Great questions! The measurements of our bound necks stay the same as our standard necks. They are not wider, but they will have a slightly different feel. All Ernie Ball Music Man instruments are also hand sanded, and the binding limits the amount of material our sanders can take off without damaging the material, making the neck almost imperceptibly more square. Most players cannot tell any difference.

Top Bottom