• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Lex.Jones.SLC

Hello everyone,

I just purchased a new white Sterling by Music Man Axis AX3 guitar, now I know that this is a value guitar and that certain parts will need to be upgraded, I'll be receiving the guitar tomorrow, and the upgrades that I have purchased should come in over the next couple of weeks.

So far the upgrades I have purchased are
Hipshot R4+L2 Grip-Lock™ Open Guitar Tuning Machines.
Hipshot 6 String US Contour Tremolo Bridge - 42100VB.
DIMARZIO ILLUMINATOR F-Spaced Neck & Bridge Pickup SET.

I'll be wiring the pickups with push/pull pots for splitting the pickups as well as putting in a toggle for a couple of different caps for tonal differences.

The thing that I am stuck on is the nut, I have never done a nut and was looking for some guidance, I hear people talk about graphtech, so I was thinking of ordering one of those, but is there a better option? is there a model number that is essentially a straight replacement?

Like I said I have no experience with replacing the nut so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also, any feedback/discussion on my chosen upgrades would be great.

Attachments

• Sterling Axis.jpg
    Sterling Axis.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 189

beej

I get upgrading tuners, etc. But do you really need to change the nut on this guitar? I'd just leave it be unless you're having issues.

spychocyco

The nut is something I would take it to a pro to replace, to be honest. You're usually going to have to file, sand and make some adjustments with a new nut. It's not as simple as popping the old one off and popping the new one on. I tend to agree with Beej. I'd just leave it alone unless you're having issues.

Nice upgrades on the other pieces, though. I'm a big fan of the Hipshot locking tuners. I have them on several of my non-EBMM guitars.

Top Bottom