• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

cvballa008

Hello All,
I ordered some black schaller locking tuners for my axis ax30 guitar, and want to replace the strat style knobs with maybe collet style or the tele style knobs. has anyone done this before?

Fro

You can get the Tele style knobs from Music Man.

spychocyco

I've put tele-style dome knobs on three of my EBMM Axis models because I'm not a huge fan of the crème plastic knobs that come on them (the BFR came with a chrome knob, so no need to replace). No big deal. Run a polishing cloth under the edge of the stock knob to avoid scratching, then pull up on the cloth to pop it off. I prefer the style of knobs that tighten with an allen wrench to those that just pop on. They're a little easier to me and no risk of damage from pressing them on a post with a tight fit. I have damaged a pot using the pop-on type and too much pressure.

Daniel

Hello All,
I ordered some black schaller locking tuners for my axis ax30 guitar, and want to replace the strat style knobs with maybe collet style or the tele style knobs. has anyone done this before?

The post for the potentiometer on your AX30 will probably be a split shaft. Meaning it's split in the middle to hold the strat-style volume knob on the guitar. A collet or tele-style knob with have a set-screw that has to be tightened to the post. With a split style post, it will be crushed by the set screw. You need a solid post potentiometer which would require re-wiring the volume pot of your guitar.

beej

Fwiw, I've used tele-style knobs on split shaft pots on many occasions. If you turn the knob so the hex screw aligns with the split in the shaft, it generally holds. Or, put something in the gap (e.g. toothpicks) and align the knob however you like. There are also aftermarket rings that you can put around the diameter of the shaft to accomplish a similar thing. No idea what they're called, but they're handy.

And of course ... you can always swap out the pots for solid shaft ones :)

PeteDuBaldo

Fwiw, I've used tele-style knobs on split shaft pots on many occasions. If you turn the knob so the hex screw aligns with the split in the shaft, it generally holds. Or, put something in the gap (e.g. toothpicks) and align the knob however you like. There are also aftermarket rings that you can put around the diameter of the shaft to accomplish a similar thing. No idea what they're called, but they're handy.

And of course ... you can always swap out the pots for solid shaft ones :)

Yep, I've made those out of correctly sized (and redrilled) brass tubing several times before.

cvballa008

thank you all for the reply, I did buy some tele style knobs that screwed in. I didn't tighten them too tight so I don't think I have a reason to worry. they work and look phenominal. as of right now I have some M6 locking tuners on the way in black and hoping I can use me existing pearl knobs but if not that's okay. in the future I plan on replacing all of the internals and im going to do the liquifire/crunch lab set up. I love the sound. pairs well with my orange amp and me-80 pedal board.

Top Bottom