• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

metalarch

Hello all,
Just saw a video on Premier Guitar, interview with J Petrucci and J Myung, talking about their rig.
John Myung said that in 2020 his Bongo 6 will be available as a Signature Bass, so that is cool!
Also, when he showed the bass it looked to have a rotary switch selector for the pickups…

tbonesullivan

how come? I was considering a similar mod to a bass I have with one pickup (adding a second w/ a rotary pickup selector)
He said it was a RAD idea, not a bad one. I've never had one, but whatever works. Plenty of guitars and basses have used rotary switches. A lot harder to knock it out of place, and maybe easier to tell where you are without looking.

jaxbassplayer

Guess that would depend if John has them on his Bongo or not since it is a signature model.

Yes, I agree.

I know that John Myung currently uses Cobalt Rounds so IMO steel frets would be a better option than nickel frets, but I guess at this point only John and EBMM know what kind of frets he is actually using! :)

danny-79

It might be a silly question (but seeing as I don’t know the answer it’s not at this point :p )
Will this only be available as a 6 string ? Or are there plans to keep the same concept/signature features but scale it down to 4’s and 5’s ?

jaxbassplayer

It might be a silly question (but seeing as I don’t know the answer it’s not at this point :p )
Will this only be available as a 6 string ? Or are there plans to keep the same concept/signature features but scale it down to 4’s and 5’s ?

I'm thinking this will only be a 6, since that's all John really plays, but who knows!

jaxbassplayer

It will be interesting to see how this works out. Granted there are a lot more 6 string players about today but still not that many

I agree, since his bass actually has a 5 string neck, maybe they can make a 5 string. I would prefer a 5 string, because that's my main bass, but I would actually buy a 6 string if that's all they come out with! :D

danny-79

I agree, since his bass actually has a 5 string neck, maybe they can make a 5 string. I would prefer a 5 string, because that's my main bass, but I would actually buy a 6 string if that's all they come out with! :D

I didn’t know that. Or even how it works. Squished an extra string on a five string neck for extra tight string spacing? (Going to look for photos now) :p

jaxbassplayer

From what I read, he liked the larger 6 string body, but with the smaller 5 string neck. The 6 string bridge is the same as well so you basically have a tighter string spacing due to the narrower nut width on the 5 string neck! Due to these specs and the fact John only plays a 6 string I really doubt that they would make a 4 or 5 string model, I think it will only be the actual bass he plays, which is the 6 string, but this is just my opinion now.

danny-79

From what I read, he liked the larger 6 string body, but with the smaller 5 string neck. The 6 string bridge is the same as well so you basically have a tighter string spacing due to the narrower nut width on the 5 string neck! Due to these specs and the fact John only plays a 6 string I really doubt that they would make a 4 or 5 string model, I think it will only be the actual bass he plays, which is the 6 string, but this is just my opinion now.

That’s what I was thinking regarding the neck.
Either way I’m looking forward to seeing the finished item how ever it comes

*tempest*

I watched a few video interviews. His bass is basically a 6 string bongo body size, but with the 6 strings on a 5 string neck. But the profile has also been made more D shaped than the normal 5string bongo neck.

He also doesn't use the EQ on the bass at all, just the two pickups on evenly.

Top Bottom