• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Kryho

Hi! 6 years ago I bought Axis SS, installed OFR tremolo, stainless 6100 jumbo frets. Plays\feels like a dream. Recently I purchased JP6 BFR \both lefty\. All the way wonderful instrument, but...the frets. They're too low, too small. When it comes to some bluesy rock like Gary Moore for example it's not comfortable as Axis is. harder to bend etc. Now, the point is: is it a matter of too low frets? Refretting to higher ones would solve the problem, or is it also the radius that causes such a discomfort? :confused:

SwitchingGear

I would be more inclined to go with the neck radius on this. The Axis I believe is a 10, and the JP6 is a flatter 15. Could also be the floating bridge on the JP6 too. To me, when bending, floating bridges provide a different feel that take some time to get used to.

beej

The frets on the JP are pretty decent. (Not as large as 6100, but they're still large.) I don't think I've ever heard someone mention that they're too small!

So- I'm going to agree that it's the radius you're noticing more. I can only speak for myself, but I find flatter/wider is better for moving around quickly but I prefer a smaller radius for bending.

Top Bottom