• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Chuck M

Yesterday I was looking on Guitar Center's site at used basses and came across a Bongo 5 in Mystic Purple with a crazy figured bird's eye neck and what looks like an ebony fingerboard. $1599. I struggled with myself....trying to reduce my collection of basses, you know? I PM'd Jack and we agreed it is a beauty and I finally decided to buy it. I used my Bank of America credit card and they refused the transaction as "unusual activity". Nice. So I tried to get it with another card and it showed to be out of stock so I thought someone else bought it. I even called GC and the sales rep said it was sold.

This morning I decided to look again and it was back listed for sale so I bought it and this time the sale went through as it usually does....used a different cc.

I'll post photos when it arrives. Jack told me it is a special run that was made for Guitar Center. The one I have coming is listed as "like new" and in the original case. Purple. I bought a purple bass. What is the world coming to?

Looks like there is a new "Bongo Boy" in San Antonio.

Edmang

Congrats! Glad it worked out for you. Seems the unusual activity was you buying a Bongo! Sounds like you had not before.

bovinehost

Administrator
Despite what Chuck says, I tried my level best to talk him out of this bass. "Chuck", I said, "Purple is not for you and you're already bearing the shame of having a Bongo 6. Maybe you should consider something more 'woody'", I said. "Save your money for one of those fancy-topped things. Maybe get some therapy."

Okay, maybe it wasn't like that.

Chuck M

Okay, maybe it wasn't like that.

No, it wasn't like that. Hah. Jack trying to talk someone out of buying a Bongo? To quote John Wayne "that'l be the day".

Just in case you didn't know, Buddy Holly heard that line in a John Wayne movie and then wrote the song.

danny-79

Bongos look great In any colour that you normally wouldn’t get away with on a traditional shaped bass.
(does it have black hardware by any chance?)

Chuck M

Chuck M

I adjusted the truss rod and raised the 2nd string bridge saddle a little and it plays great. I will put a new set of Slinky's on it and do a complete set up.

There is a new trick to using the Bongo preamp. There is a little click when you set all the knobs to the center. Do that. Adjust the volume to your liking and enjoy. LOL

Some basses sound great after a lot of knob turning. Not the Bongo. Set everything in the center and wow....WOW!

Chuck M

Sparkle? I can't see it when I am playing the bass with my eyes closed.

Who knows? The sparkle purple may be why it sounds so good....well....the gloss black 6 sounds almost the same so I have decided that sparkles only belong on Jack's basses and in the hair of adolescent girls on their way to the prom.

Oh wait, if you love sparkle finishes (whoever you may be) may you be blessed with a sparkly Bongo.

Last edited:

five7

Love that finish with black hardware and nut. Matching peghead would push it over the top. Congrats!

Top Bottom