• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DrMatthewCross

Hi,
from what I've read the new StingRay Classic features a 2 band active EQ, but it's a "Baxandall" cut-only kind of EQ? I can't find useful informations, so please share your experience.
I tried a StingRay Special and it features an active 3 band EQ. I guess the detent marks the "flat" position, so you can both cut and boost frequencies.
What about the Classic?
It it's cut-only, how do you use it?
Thanks.

five7

Align the set screws on the knobs with the center of the turn and use that as a reference point. That has worked for me on 2 band preamps.

tbonesullivan

They are cut/boost controls, but there is no center detent/click on the 2-band EQ. From what I gather, there never has been. Just need to use your ears.

danny-79

Align the set screws on the knobs with the center of the turn and use that as a reference point. That has worked for me on 2 band preamps.

That’s the first thing I do, centre dent or no centre dent. Makes perfect sense to me

Edmang

Is "flat" arbitrary? If you say flat is the knob somewhere in the middle, it is boost cut. If you say flat is the knob all the way up, it is cut only. If you say flat is all the way down, it is boost only.

If not arbitrary, what is the actual definition of "flat"?

Probably doesn't really matter. Just use your ears and set things the way it sounds best to you.

DrMatthewCross

"Flat" is neutral tone by definition, no boost and no cut. There's no need to use philosophy on this, it's just a practical thing.
Some active basses have a detent to mark the "flat" position (think StingRay Special), some others doesn't have one (think StingRay Classic). With these basses, you can use the screws on the knobs as reference, but both kind of basses I just described share an active boost and cut circuit.
Some other basses have boost only (or cut only) EQ circuit, and they're definitely different beasts. You just described what to do to approximate a cut and boost circuit with these basses, basically. But you need to compensate with your amp, which I usually set "flat" (again, neutral, usually everything at noon) and do everything with the bass.

tbonesullivan

The 2-band stingray preamp was the first production bass preamp designed, and I guess back then they didn't have pots of that type with a center detent, or they just didn't use them. For whatever reason, EBMM has always used the non-detent type on 2 band EQs. When they came out with a 3-band, it had center detents, and most preamps from other makers do have a center detent for the "flat" position, just like most blend pots have a 50/50 spot.

One of these days, I may pick up a SR classic, but honestly I love my SR5H so much, I don't see the need.

five7

I played one for years never really thought about what flat is, just adjusted the tone on the bass and my amp and played.

danny-79

The only situation I’ve been in and not had a center dent is a recording situation. Easily solved by the engineer.
It’s definitely a nice touch to have but I can manage perfectly fine with out it.

brash47

Bah.....everything turned to full....11 if I g could get it!!!!

Jk, you guys have great info and I always learn something when I pop in and read.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom