• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

arcoddath

Hello, World!

I bought a 2016 Morse from eBay. It's my first MusicMan guitar, one I've wanted for years and I have some first newbie impressions as well as a question. I'll do the impressions first:

• It's small. Actually, comparing it against other guitars I have it's not but it looks and feels compact.

• It's a lovely colour -- the website doesn't do it justice

• Pickups are very well balanced, the single coils aren't overwhelmed by the humbuckers and the guitar reacts well as you turn the volume up to control distortion

• Neck is amazingly comfortable, I find it really easy on my little hands

• *That* switching -- not hard after a few minutes. Much harder is keeping your right hand from hitting that +Bridge switch. This is not a casual strumming guitar, your picking hand needs to be accurate. I briefly wondered about how hard it would be to change that switch to a Brian May style slider to lower the profile.

Overall, it's a lovely thing. I do wish it had a bit of a carve but the slab body's not uncomfortable. Here's the question:

Sometimes it feels lie there's a tiny bit of "give" in the neck joint. Nothing visibly moves and the tuning's solid but it feels like there's a very slight click or twitch as I get the guitar off the stand or into playing position. Is this normal for this guitar, or bolt-ons in general? All my other guitars are set-necks or through necks and this is the first Morse I've seen so...?

arcoddath

Thanks @Wahoonc -- I had tries the screws initially but on retrying found a *tiny* amount of give in a couple. Seems to have sorted it, much obliged to you.

tbonesullivan

Just remember, they should be snug, but not RAAARRRRR TIGHTEN SCREW snug. It's just wood, and you can strip out the screw holes if you tighten them too much.

Anyway, enjoy it! They are awesome guitars! So versatile.

Top Bottom