• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

JC225

I apologize everybody as I'm sure this has been covered somewhere here on the forum but I have been trying to decide on a string and wanted to ask if there is a huge difference between .9's and .10's? I have heard the .9's are easier to work with and bend but they don't seem to have the longevity of the .10"s or produce the same sound as a thicker string.

Any advice would be great and thanks.

spychocyco

Feel is the big difference to me. A smaller gauge will be more flexible and easier to bend, a heavier gauge will have more tension. I've never noticed a big difference in longevity between gauges. Heavier strings can have a little thicker sound on the bass end, but there are plenty of players who use light gauge strings and sound great (Billy Gibbons, Brian May, Jimmy Page to name a few). Don't let anyone tell you that you can't get a good tone out of light strings.

If you like the bendiness of 9s but want a chunkier low end, you can always try the Hybrid Slinkys, which are 9-46.

What's the scale of your guitar? A lot of people prefer a slightly heavier string on a 24 3/4-inch scale. I personally run the Hybrids (9-46) on my LP, which I know is blasphemy in some circles, but it works for me. Most people will go with 10s or larger on a shorter scale.

Also consider how you're going to tune. Light strings are fine for standard tuning and possibly D standard, but if you're playing B Standard/Drop A (on a six-string), they're probably going to feel floppy.

Best advice is to buy a few packs of different gauges and give them a spin to see which you like better.

JC225

Hey Spy,

Thanks for the information and insight, I really appreciate it. I just picked up a set of the Super Slinky 9-42 and we will see how these go. Quick question, If I drop down to these will I need to adjust the spring tension, rod and intonation?

I guess that would be a complete set up, do I need it?

Last edited:

jones4tone

Also worth noting that Ernie Ball recently introduced 9.5-44 (and 10.5-48 I think?) string sets. I know Sweetwater showed them in stock last week, but they don't seem to have made their way to any of our local stores here around Nashville, yet. That's an alternative to the hybrids.

JC225

Hey Jones,

Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it and I will check those out as well.

spychocyco

Hey Spy,

Thanks for the information and insight, I really appreciate it. I just picked up a set of the Super Slinky 9-42 and we will see how these go. Quick question, If I drop down to these will I need to adjust the spring tension, rod and intonation?

I guess that would be a complete set up, do I need it?

Depends on who you ask. :D

If I'm only moving one gauge up or down, I don't usually see the need for a full setup. But a lot of people will jump in and say I'm completely wrong and you should do it with any change, so your mileage may vary.

If you're moving more than one size, though, you definitely need the setup.

ksandvik

If you change string sizes most likely you need to re-intonate the guitar.

As for string sizes, unless you use really tiny strings or really huge ones, the tonality is about the same, many famous guitar players use 8-38 string sets, still good sound (ex Billy Gibbons). I've used 8, to 9 to 10 but standardized on 9-42 as for me it's the right amount of tension and playability.

JC225

Thank you so much everybody, I really appreciate all the information.

So I took the guitar yesterday to have the 9-42's put on it and have it all set up. While waiting it was brought to my attention that there are a few things that "need or should" be done to the guitar. Being new to the EBMM world these suggestions seemed a little extreme and I wasn't comfortable with it. So I got home and called and spoke with Joel from EBMM and I will be sending the guitar to him and letting the factory replace the strings and get it all set up properly. I know this probably sounds crazy but after hearing what these people wanted to do to my guitar yesterday, I don't know that I trust anybody else.

spychocyco

Curious now about what exactly they wanted to do. :D

To be honest, I've actually thought about sending my '07 Axis in for a factory setup. I've got a local guy that does great work, but might be nice to have them look it over and get back to home base after 12 years.

JC225

Well to make a long story short, I took it in for a complete set up because the person that had the guitar before me had the tremolo up way to high, one side higher than the other and you could see that clear as day not only from the posts but the tremolo itself and of course that threw everything off on the guitar. Before even addressing the tremolo this individual wanted to,

1. Shim the nut (which I understand is totally possible and happens).
2. Shave the neck down because he said it has to much of an angle upward toward the back
pickup (not going to happen)!
3. Wanted to replace all the frets (their not even worn)!
4. Claimed that the neck pickup wasn't working.
5. Said there was something wrong with the selector switch.

There was no way that I was allowing ANY of these repairs to be made without a second opinion. Now I was directed to another local shop late last week that everybody has great things to say about and I did get a second opinion from the owner. It was completely different from the first and when I handed him the written estimate from the first shop, he kind of chuckled and said, "sure If you want to destroy this guitar"! So he has it at the moment and we will see how things go. I can always send it back to EBMM if I need to and I already have an RA# from Joel if that is the route we to go down.

JC225

I mean I understand that she is nine years old and may need a little something even though the only clue that she was ever played is some dirt and oil on the neck and again needing a set up with new strings

but really?

Last edited:

spychocyco

Yikes! I don't think I'd go back to that guy again. He was definitely trying to take advantage. Good call on getting a second opinion.

JC225

Thanks brother, I'm glad I was able to have someone look at it locally first. Joel at EBMM also said that they are currently at about a 4-6 week turn around so that would have been a long time to go without playing.

JC225

Well I just picked her up from the shop and she is awesome! Everything has been returned to spec and she plays like a dream! I did want to ask you guys one question though, how many springs are you guys running on your tremolo? I had two on there and I just got it back today and there are now three springs with the 9-42's. It's a bit stiffer but I'm assuming the third was placed on there for a good reason.

Just curious how many you guys are using and why.

Last edited:
Top Bottom