• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

saihv

I recently got my hands on a used Sterling JP60. This is my first foray into the world of floating bridges, so I am looking for some advice on a problem I've been having - while the guitar is in excellent condition otherwise, it currently seems to be pretty bad at being in tune. I did a few iterations of tuning the strings one by one, but after 15-20 minutes of playing, all or most of the strings go out of tune, even if I am not using the whammy bar too much. I have checked the locking nuts behind the headstock and they are tight.

Apart from taking it to a tech directly, is there anything simple I can check for beforehand or fix by myself?

jones4tone

You might find this helps as you play, assuming it was in tune when you started: mute the strings with your fret hand, dive the trem to the point that the strings are slack, and then let it go back to neutral (in a controlled fashion) and release the bar. That would help with my tuning when I had a JP15.

Another factor that I find affects all my electric guitars, regardless of what kind of bridge they have, is temperature changes. If I take one off the hook that’s been hanging there a good while, and immediately tune it, as it then warms up while playing (just from simple body heat) it will have to be tuned again. (This always makes me wonder how touring guitar techs deal with this issue as they’re swapping guitars with their player throughout a show?)

Nhoj

I recently got my hands on a used Sterling JP60. This is my first foray into the world of floating bridges, so I am looking for some advice on a problem I've been having - while the guitar is in excellent condition otherwise, it currently seems to be pretty bad at being in tune. I did a few iterations of tuning the strings one by one, but after 15-20 minutes of playing, all or most of the strings go out of tune, even if I am not using the whammy bar too much. I have checked the locking nuts behind the headstock and they are tight.

Apart from taking it to a tech directly, is there anything simple I can check for beforehand or fix by myself?

hi maybe we can help you here > Sterling by Music Man Users/Owners Around The World Public Group | Facebook

Top Bottom