• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

nervous

Some of you have seen bits of this project in my other NGD thread as it progressed but I am a sucker for these kinds of threads and love all the pics so I thought I'd put everything in one place and because it came out so well I felt it deserved it.

This all started out when I saw a Richie Castellano video where us turned an older Axis Sport with a pickguard into a Brian May Red Special of sorts. Instant light bulb moment for me so I started my search.

The color in this is just awesome in person, and very hard to capture the depth in a photo. It just glows in sunshine or bright light. A very happy color.

As it arrived to me:
IMG-3403.jpg

IMG-3328.jpg

IMG-3330.jpg

First assembly iteration as an HSS w/EMG's which was so easy to install and sounded great but their 5 way switch length was a bit short for my liking.

IMG-3439.jpg

IMG-3443.jpg

And in its current, and most likely final form. I was able to locate a nearly new set of genuine EBMM Axis humbuckers, I used an EBMM 5 way stitch to preserve all original switching and splitting options, right down to the plastic EBMM strap button washers. It sounds identical to my 2016 Super Sport which is what I was needing when switching guitars live using a floor modeler as all the presets were built around the 2016 so it saves the need for another bank of guitar adjusted presets.

IMG-3602.jpg

IMG-3601.jpg

IMG-3594.jpg

IMG-3595.jpg

As an aside, If I remember correctly, there were no Axis made in the Dargie 1 run. I have never seen one.

Hope you enjoyed as much as I do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom