• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mindwell

This GAS, it simply never ends. Having owned a number of Stingray 5s over the years (three fretted, two fretless), I've been listening to soundclips and watching YouTube clips to get a sense of how the Stingray Classic 5 differs. Played one last year and really liked it, and am trying to quantify the difference in tone and response. OK, so yes, passive alnico PU and two-band EQ vs. three-band for SR5s, as well as the progression from alnico-ceramic-alnico across various SR5 production eras. I get that, as well as the fact that every bass is different, maple vs. rosewood, ash vs poplar etc etc etc.

But here's a question I haven't seen addressed: how do the basses differ as to the pickup's distance from the bridge? From pictures, it *looks* like the Classic 5's bridge with mutes has less distance between bridge and pickup, and I'd like someone to weigh in who has the bass and a tape measure/ ruler handy.

To put my cards on the table, the Classic 5 *seems* to have more of that back pickup / low-mid punch than does the SR5, and that's a key aspect of my personal recipe for tone. Think of it as analogous to the difference between 60s vs 70s Jazz Bass pickup spacing.

So I'm curious how the measurements from bridge to pickup may differ, and I'd like to hear from anyone who has a Classic 5.

My SR5 fretless is from 1995, and the measurements are as follows:

-Edge of bridge to bottom of polepiece: 2.25"
-Mid-saddle/break angle to bottom of polepiece: (a hair under) 3.25"

Golem

"Edge of bridge" ????

They are not all alike :-(

I'd suggest a different
data point, maybe 22nd
fret to midpoint of the 2
rows of pole slugs ?

The bridge on my Jazz
bass is bigger than the
bridge on a vintage Jazz.
Measurements should be
relative to frets, or notes,
which are always in the
same location regardless
of various bridge shapes.

===================

And "saddle/break ... " ?

If you choose that, ignore
the actual saddle location
and figure that the saddle
is ALWAYS the equidistant
from the octave fret/note
as is the nut [expect 17"].

Last edited:

Samoht

I could be wrong but I thought the saddle to pickup pole distance was the same for pre-EB, EBMM SR Classic & EBMM SR5. The preamp & pickup magnet type is, to my thinking, the difference in sound.

mouth

All Stingrays have their pickup in the Stingray "sweet spot". You don't measure the distance from the pickup to the bridge mutes.. That way you could shove a piece of foam under your standard Stingray and say "hey, I've moved this pickup closer to the bridge". No, the Classics don't have the pickup closer to the bridge. It's the same distance/position for all Stingrays. They call it "sweet spot".

mouth

I could be wrong but I thought the saddle to pickup pole distance was the same for pre-EB, EBMM SR Classic & EBMM SR5. The preamp & pickup magnet type is, to my thinking, the difference in sound.

Correct on all accounts.

Top Bottom